Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a reply to a thread (in December!) and got no responses asking the above question.....

Can someone explain TPLO?

Bails has had two failed surgeries (failed being my opinion, he has never been "good" again) (either side done a year and a half apart -June 2008 and September 2009), could be hip issues mixed in there as well, but I am keen to hear alternatives.

He is my parents dog -I have moved out, so of course it is almost worse when I stop in to visit because I don't see it day to day. He is at a point where he cannot be weaned off Metacam, he can not do much more than a walk (has his silly moments :bowl:) and we are so so careful with him as he is not a pretty mover through the hind end at all.

I would also be keen to hear anyone's experiences -any therapies done for the dog, etc. Alternatives?

I know my Mom is moving to a new vet this week actually, it really didn't seem like the now old vet was interested in keeping Bailey comfortable. (Note to self, our puppy is coming June...don't use that vet office!)

Bailey turned 7 in January -he is getting to a point where I really am not sure how comfortable he is, but his spirits are always good, but that can only count beyond a certain point, no?

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
The two most common surgeries are ligament replacement or TPLO.

Ligament replacement is where they go in and put a durable suture in place of the torn ligament.

TPLO is an orthopedic surgery where they cut the bone and realign the joint, then screw in a metal plate to hold it in that position. This results in the joint being at an angle that does not require a ligament. The bone knits back together the same as a broken bone. The plate keeps it stable until it has healed, but is normally not removed unless it causes some complication at a later date.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I don't know much about these surgeries but I wish Bailey well. I've recently gotten married and moved out of the house (well, 2 years ago) and know how hard it is to come home to a different dog. However, Casey is just aging and slowing down at almost 12 years. I think a second opinion is in order- keeping Bailey comfortable is a priority and repairing him to the point of a happy, walk-filled life should be next. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
TPLO was the preferred way to go until not too long ago. Can't remember the name of the better option. Do a search on the RTF site. It has been discussed quite a bit there. More of a Lab thing but I'm sorry that your family's Golden has suffered.

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you can afford it I would highly advise the TPLO. It is a little more expensive but in my opinion it is much more effective than an extracapsular ACL repair. The dogs that have a TPLO are walking normally within a couple of weeks as compared to a few months with the wire surgery.

I hope all goes well!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Ok I need to add my 2¢.

Maxine had 2 TPLO's her first when she was 8, the second when she was 9 1/2. She did FABULOUS with them. Her first knee went as a result of an play injury with our other dog. Her second went as a result of being the weight bearing leg while the first one healed. Yes more often than not if one knee goes the other will follow.

Expensive yes, regrets ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! Maxine for 3 years after her second surgery, ran, went for long walks, dock jumped, swam, hiked, played frisbee, you name it. She never took another NSAID for a sore "wheel". I will stress the success of the surgery is dependent on two important factors. The skill of the surgeon, find the best you can in your area (teaching hospitals can be good resources) and then after the surgery follow the post op advice to the letter. No short cuts or cutting corners.

Your parents dog is 7. The dog has a LOT of life left. If it is the knee and you (your parents) can afford it, it would greatly improve the dog quality of life.

Ann

1 - 7 of 7 Posts