Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our pup is 3 months old. He is SO VERY sweet and we love him to death. We only have one issue really...Once or twice a day when he is playing, he gets very excited and starts "attacking" everyone...by attacking I mean he jumps and bites (pretty hard) on whoever is nearby. He literally spazzes out, weve tried telling him no, ignoring him (he will just attack the backs of our legs when we do that!) giving him a chew toy to distract him, take him out to play...you get the idea! Nothing distracts him from this ballistic state! Is it okay to give him a "doggy time out"? Ive thought maybe I could put him in the bathroom or his crate for just a bit so he would calm down but I dont know if that will in some way backfire and make him afraid of his crate or wherever I put him? Any recommendations? Thank you so much for any input!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Bathroom, not crate, is a good place to put him. He needs to learn that when he has unacceptable behavior, he does not get attention.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I also use breath spray or a squirt bottle to dissuade biting and jumping.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Time outs are fine, as long as they are immediate and don't last too long. The crate shouldn't be a punishment, just a place to calm down for a few minutes.

As he gets older, you can also work on obedience, so that when he gets really excited you can put him in a down-stay until he's calmed down. It works well with Ben when he's freaking out. But we've spent a year working with him, so he does obey even though he doesn't really want to.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have this same issue with Maya, and she is almost 9 months. I didn't want to use the crate for time outs so I hook her to a leash on the patio door in the same room we are in. She can't get to anyone, but she can still see us, and she usually settles down in just a few minutes. I tried the bathroom, but Maya chewed the caps off the toilet and shredded the rug. She's quite industrious, so even in time outs she needs to be watched like a hawk!

·
Registered
270 Posts
i think a time out would be just fine! i wouldn't use the crate though, try for a room...with very sturdy walls and doors! :p:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was using the crate with my problem to really limited effect. Did the bathroom for 90seconds yesterday evening and yielded far better results. Enzo is the exact same when he's hyped up TOO much.

Sometimes he's just tired though in which case crate is the right option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts