Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am foster sitting for one of the foster Moms while she is out of town. The foster's name is Shelly. She is such a sweet girl. They think she is about 10 yrs old and so shy. Cant take her for any long walks because she is heartworm positive. Poor girl was dumped at a truck stop on I-10. She was at another fosters home while her parents were out of town but that lady had a foster cat that had kittens and the mother cat attacked Shelly. So she is now here.
The problem is that now she is terrified of cats. If one walks near her she will freeze and not respond to anything until the cat is gone. But one of my cats will hiss at her and puff up. This is my cat that loves everyone and will lay with the dogs. It is really wierd. Poor Shelly just stands there or looks away.
So my question is can my cats sense that she is scared of them and react to her but not the other dogs?

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Absolutely!

Plus, freezing and staring is something dogs often do shortly before going after a cat, so your cat could be misreading the body language and sensing a threat.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She doesnt look at them just freezes and looks away or down at the floor. They didnt realize that I think so I will let the head foster coordinator know she she goes to a home with no cats. It is really sad to see, because she just freezes and wont move.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts