Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

We are trying to again understand why Fin chews our walls/trim/baseboards ocassionally.

Walked 4x daily. Half hour to hour in the am. Half hour over lunch, hour after work, quick pee walk before bed. Never the same routes, sometimes to an open field, trails, soccer field, sidewalks, sometimes just for retrieving, conservation area, little bit of everything. We've done a lot of work with him when he's been healthy in terms of agility classes, socializing, etc.

Stimulated to the nines around the house, with us where ever we can take him. From 4-8 months we let him have free run of the house where he was fine until he began to chew and from 9 months until now (19 months) he is xpenned with no open walls to chew. He will chew the middle of the wall, or a corner at random. I left home today at 3:30pm, hubby was home at 4 and he chewed.

I know the answer is keep him in the xpen, I know. I just wish I could give him the freedom. It isn't even when he is just home alone, he has done it infront of us as he passed a corner, just touched it with his teeth (enough to mark the wall) and carried on (we did not react or show him any reaction to that, I think we were too shocked to react anyways).

But my question is, and having a horse/farm background, can dogs have vices like a horses can? Say a horse is a cribber (chews/pulls on wood, said that they get a "release" from it) and regardless of amount of exercise, routine, etc....when given the opportunity, they just "do" it. What am I not giving Fin here? He has antler's and chew toys (safe ones....!) I am not sure we could exercise him any more than we do. I know the solution safest for him is keep him xpenned when home alone, but I just wish he wouldn't do this.

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
I know it's frustrating but Finlay is just a puppy. Samantha did her fair share of chewing and we as a result crated her until she was around 2 years old. Having a lot of differing things that she COULD chew on helped a lot (kongs, bones, etc.). Just make sure whatever he's left alone with to chew can't be destroyed too easily (i.e. be ingested or a choking hazard, which I'm sure you already know).

Hang in there and I'm sure he'll outgrow it in time.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
I once had a dog like that a rescue cross Lab/GSD and we could never stop her lucky it was always in the same place so we put up clear perspex by her bed and the other place was in the hall and there we put up wood panels as when she chewed the wall she went straight to the breeze block.

They only time she stopped was when after the 4th time of biting my husband badly we didn't want her put to sleep so i asked the vet what we could do a muzzle was no good as you never knew when she was going to bite.
So we had her front teeth taken out that cured the wall problem and she went on to lead a happy life when her gums healed she could still chew on a bone

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Well there ya go, just get his teeth removed! Goodness.
19 months is still a youngster, I would just continue to crate/xpen. Do some dogs just have ingrained bad habits? Well sure, but I wouldn't give up on him growing out of it just yet. Best of luck.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Having both horses and dogs, I would say yes. Because vices generally aren't genetic; they are a learned way of coping with stress. Stall weaving, cribbing, etc.

It may be that Finlay gets SO much stimulation that he hasn't learned how to be quiet or bored yet. Read the other thread on "Is it okay to be bored". In your desire to keep him well exercised you may have inadvertently deprived him of his down time. He needs to learn how to self-soothe and be quiet.

You can do that by rewarding him when he is quiet. A small treat if he's food oriented, a pat on the head. Just something that he values as a reward that won't get him all excited and revved up.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
With my boy,he was crated,only at night until he was 2 yrs old.The day he turned 2,he stopped and we dont know why!.
I could leave him,in the house during the day and he never touched anything but boy,did do it,at night.It was,mostly,shoes and paper shreddring but it was still annoying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts