Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Professional Poop Scooper
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4wks ago my now 5 month old, Oscar, was at the vet for his final parvo vaccination. I showed these sores to the vet and he told me what they were called, but I forgot. He said they were common in puppies - something about their immune systems learning to deal with their environment.

Anyway, he said to come back for antibiotics if they got worse or didn't go away. They aren't worse, but haven't gone away so I have an appointment for Monday. In the interim, I wouldn't mind reading up on exactly what these are.

Note he has no symptoms other than these crusty little pox that are almost exclusively on his inner thighs (he has one on his chest). They don't seem to bother him, any.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Kind of hard to really see them but I always thought it was just puppy pimples. The first time I saw them were on a rescue pup. The vet never gave me meds for it but told me to wash (bath) him in Dreft laundry soap. I did and they went away.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Staph infection??? I would get some micro-tek shampoo and bathe weekly. The vet will probably start a round of antibiotics. Micro-tek can be found at many tack shops or ordered online ( amazon ).

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
I always called them puppy pox, and just made sure to wash with an antibacterial shampoo, rinse well and dry. They are typically pretty shallow, and I've not yet had one turn into a hot spot.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It appears it could be a staph infection.

·
Professional Poop Scooper
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just back from the vet. Ringworm. Ugh. They shaved his whole underside, which unveiled much more that what little you can see in the pictures.

Antibacterial scrub 2x a day, tough actin' Tinactin spray 2x a day, 4 antifungal shampoo baths over next 2 weeks, antibiotics to head off infection risk (raw open sores).

Vet says most pups are able to fight off "puppy pimples" before they amount to much. Just unlucky, I guess. Poor guy. He doesn't act like he's itchy, but must be terribly uncomfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts