Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is looking for a Golden puppy and she had this breeder in mind. I searched on the forum and I found some negative results but I'm not 100% sure it was the same exact kennel and I'd like to be as accurate as possible. I want to make sure she gets a pup from a reputable breeder, and I know you are all very knowledgeable about them.

What jumped out at me right away just from looking at the front page (from what I've learned from you guys so far) is that they mention English Creme and they seem to have a lot of litters?
http://www.silverminekennel.com/
out of Greenville, KY.

Thanks for all your helpful information!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would pass on this breeder. To many red flags. They have lots of dogs and lots of litters. No mention of clearances either.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Riley's mom...and Jill, I was wondering if that was the same breeder! Ohhh no I'll tell my sister right away.

Thanks for your input :)

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I tried to find some dogs in OFA, but was unable. Could be me, but I like it when they put the OFA registrations at the website. And there are a lot of litters at the same time. I personally don't mind them mentioning "English Cream": everyone knows what colour dog you mean by that, and if that's what they breed, that's what they breed. But the amount of litters would worry me. I don't know how many people they have caring for the dogs full time, that would maybe make a difference, but there are a lot of little puppies at once.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If your sister is looking for that style of golden there are some good breeders in your area. If she is just looking for a well bred goldens there are quite a few in your area.
Keep looking!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
A friend of mine purchased a puppy from this breeder. Said friend has always had incredible show horses, and she and her family have bred amazing horses. When I originally decided I'd get a second Golden (I haven't gotten the second), and heard my friend got one from Silvermine I was very intrigued. I foolishly assumed anyone who could breed such amazing show horses would do a great job of finding a dog breeder to their high breeding standards... boy was I wrong! I'm glad I didn't just go with this breeder when she suggested it! I watched her from buying the puppy until now, and saw each step of the process. The breeder seemed great, but got a little more distant after the deposit was made. The puppy was flown to my friend's local airport. My friend got puppy on a Friday, took to vet the following week, and her puppy had an upper respiratory infection and worms. I told her she should see if the breeder would cover the treatments, because she'd only just gotten the puppy. Breeder got mad that my friend would even suggest she was responsible for these vet bills. The puppy is the sweetest dog, but she has tons of problems - hips and elbows, food allergies, lots of stomach issues, and frequent hot spots. Now I know a lot more than I did when my friend told me she'd put down her deposit on this puppy. There are many, many, many red flags on their website that you can see. Just compare their website to the puppy buyer fact check on the GRF and you'll see enough signs that you better RUN not walk the other way!

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A friend of mine purchased a puppy from this breeder. Said friend has always had incredible show horses, and she and her family have bred amazing horses. When I originally decided I'd get a second Golden (I haven't gotten the second), and heard my friend got one from Silvermine I was very intrigued. I foolishly assumed anyone who could breed such amazing show horses would do a great job of finding a dog breeder to their high breeding standards... boy was I wrong! I'm glad I didn't just go with this breeder when she suggested it! I watched her from buying the puppy until now, and saw each step of the process. The breeder seemed great, but got a little more distant after the deposit was made. The puppy was flown to my friend's local airport. My friend got puppy on a Friday, took to vet the following week, and her puppy had an upper respiratory infection and worms. I told her she should see if the breeder would cover the treatments, because she'd only just gotten the puppy. Breeder got mad that my friend would even suggest she was responsible for these vet bills. The puppy is the sweetest dog, but she has tons of problems - hips and elbows, food allergies, lots of stomach issues, and frequent hot spots. Now I know a lot more than I did when my friend told me she'd put down her deposit on this puppy. There are many, many, many red flags on their website that you can see. Just compare their website to the puppy buyer fact check on the GRF and you'll see enough signs that you better RUN not walk the other way!
Thank you :)

·
Murphy's mom
1,025 Posts
Has your sister checked with the local club? There are a lot of good breeders in central Ohio. Have her call and talk to a few on the website. Even if they don't have puppies they sometimes know other small hobby breeders who do.

Here is the site:

www.grcco.org

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts