Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past two weeks Annie, who is now 5.5 months old, takes one of her stuffed toys with her every time she goes outside. It wouldn't be a problem, except she doesn't bring them back in! Sometimes she will come inside just to grab another one, we have a dog door, so it is hard to catch her with one in her mouth. It is only her stuffed toys, not balls or bones. I think she likes the company! Lol

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
My guy grabs toys, shoes, clothes, towels, anything when he's excited about going outside. Of course we actually go outside with him and it's usually a BIG DEAL going outside...

Teach her the "go get your toy" + "bring it inside" commands. :)

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
Dexter does this too. He always has. He's not allowed to take them outside at my apartment at school because he won't bring them back in for some reason, so since he already knows "leave it," I say "Dexter, leave your toy inside" and he always drops it at the door and gets it when he comes back inside. At home I let him take them outside. Before he comes back in I'll say "get your toy!" and he always grabs one to come inside and play with his grandpa :)

I think it's a cute "characteristic."

·
Registered
926 Posts
My almost 4.5 year old has a stuffed duck that he has had since he was 10 weeks that he takes outside with him all the time. When he doesn't bring it in, I tell him to go get Mr. Duckie and he does.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My Chow use to do this. The funny part was, he would hold it in his mouth the whole time, never putting it on the ground. It was rather funny watching him squat to take a poop with a big stuffed animal in his mouth. Boy, do I miss that dog.

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
Both Samantha and Mulligan try to bring toys outside and vis versa. However I have a rule, once toys go outside they're no longer allowed inside (I'm not an outside dirt kinda girl, lol). 99.9% of the time I catch them with the toy and ask them to "drop it," which they do both before going out and coming in. Occasionally they'll sneak past with a toy in their mouths and thus, the inside toy becomes an outside only toy. :)

I know I'm a mean mommy. Thankfully though they have more than enough toys to keep them busy inside as I can't leave the pet store without at least one new one. Imagine the funny rules my kids will have one day!

·
Registered
926 Posts
@jdk

My 4.5 year old will also carry his duck on 4 mile walks and never put it down - not even to do his business. I definitely understand how you feel.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Yep BaWaaJige does the same thing sometimes. If he does drop his toy I just tell him to fetch it up and he does. He will also take his livingroom toys to the bedroom sometimes and then in the morning he picks it up and brings it back downstairs. I love this I think it is just too cute.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Speaking of things like this. We have this stuffed animal that we've been putting in JJ's crate since the day we got him. We call him "Steve" - JJ's sleeping buddy. We never really let him play with it outside the crate. Whenever he dragged "Steve" out, the moment he got up we throw it back in the crate. Now, JJ won't go to sleep without Steve. You can bet that whenever he pulls Steve out of the crate he's ready for bed. It's funny. He'll grab him by the neck, take him into the middle of the living room, throw him a hump real quick, give him some kisses afterwards, and then lay there with his head on top of him, ready to conk out.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Flora does this as well, and takes it a step further by doing her business with the toy in her mouth. THEN she drops it and wants to come back inside, forcing me to go retrieve her toy. I think it's cute! Unless it's raining outside.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
One here too. Our girl has a special black/white striped toy (was a penguin) and it is this toy she will search for when we come in from work. Only this one toy will do, then she is ready to run outside to do her business, with toy in her mouth. Every night I make a yard check and bring in all the toys from the backyard - lots! Every time the pups are excited the first thing they do is grab up a toy...so sweet and is an endearing trait especially in Goldens.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Yep - my dog brings hers out with her pretty often - almost always for quick outs. She carries it and holds it while she pees. Sometimes she drops it before coming back in if she smells something interesting in the ground, but I just say, "get your toy!" before we head back in, and she retrieves it and brings it back in. I also think it's pretty adorable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts