Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Cash, my 8 week old golden retriever to the vet today.
Yesterday cash slept a lot and had a hard time moving around, i thought i noticed a limp in one of his back legs but when playing with his legs he seemed fine. This morning he still had problems getting up and was walking weird. I thought he had lyme disease before we went to the vet. The vet we saw told us he didnt think cash had lyme disease but instead pano and that it was a text book case, usually seen in older puppies though. He was put on antibiotics today and has been now whining non stop, which he wasnt doing yesterday. I am so concerned that he is whining and having trouble walking. I am concerned he is to young to have pano.

has anyone ever seen pano in a puppy so young?

this vet didnt think there was anything else that could be wrong but now i am questioning what he has said.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
As posted on your other thread, this vet in Maine does not think it sounds like pano. Way too young... Pano presents with long bone pain. Tick borne disease presents with joint pain and fever(most of the time).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you i appreciate your reply i am just curious if anyone else has ever seen pano in a puppy so little but i dont think that is a case:(

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I have been practicing for 27 years and would look for another reason other than pano.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to believe what i was told by my vet was right but you and so many other people have said he is too young. Should i still keep him on the antibiotics he was given? Thank you for replying!
Im freaking out and just want my little guy to be better

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I think that you should do as your vet recommends BUT seek a second opinion. And I encourage testing, be it X-rays or blood tests, etc.

Trust but verify. That's what I believe in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive read those articles today! thank you! i am taking him to the vet again tomorrow to get a second opinion, hopefully this one will be right

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Antibiotics aren't the treatment for pano unless some kind of infection is also suspected.

Also, there is a quick blood test to rule out Lyme. It's called SNAP 4Dx. It also rules out two other tick diseases. As a side benefit, it also tests for heartworm, so you can use it to get your heartworm prescription while you're at it.

I do not know the status of tick diseases in Arkansas, but here in CT when you have a puppy with a limp that comes and goes or progresses to general aches and pains, Lyme is our first thought.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I googled "8 week old puppy lameness" and found an online advice board. Here is one of the conversations.

Customer Question

hi,

I have an 8 week old puppy. He started limping this afternoon, and is now has a fever of 103.3.....any advice?
Optional Information:
Type of Animal: German Shep
Name of Dog: ski

Already Tried:
nothing, just took his temp

Accepted Answer

Expert: Dr. Johnsonreplied 888 days and 15 hours ago.

Dr. Johnson : Hello there
Dr. Johnson : I would like to help with your dog
Dr. Johnson : Is he limping on any particular leg?
Customer : left front shoulder, i massaged it a bit and found the pain area
Customer : it seems muscle related
Dr. Johnson : certainly any german shephard puppy with limping and a fever raises concerns of a condition called panosteitis
Dr. Johnson : though 8 weeks old is quite young for this condition, it should be kept on the list
Customer : he was very active until this afternoon
Customer : he just wants to sleep
Dr. Johnson : hypertrophic osteodystrophy is also a condition of younger dogs that can cause lameness and fever
Customer : are these serious conditions or a growth issue?
Dr. Johnson : I would recommend taking your dog into the vet tomorrow for evaluation
Dr. Johnson : panosteitis usually resolves on its own over a few weeks to months and does not generally have any lasting effects
Customer : should i give him any ibuprofen or acetametaphin
Dr. Johnson : hypertrophic osteodystrophy has a worse prognosis as it can affect the growth of the bones
Dr. Johnson : you should never give any dog ibuprofen or acetominophen as they are both toxic
Customer : he is massive puppy, 8 weeks and 20Lbs
Customer : ok, good to know
Dr. Johnson : I would not recommend giving him any over the counter painkillers, they are not safe for such a young dog
Dr. Johnson : your vet will have more appropriate painkillers
Dr. Johnson : but you should definitely take them in tomorow
Dr. Johnson : your vet will probably choose to do some xrays to check for these conditions
Dr. Johnson : and then can give you some safer painkillers
Customer : ok, i will do so. at least he continues to move a little to find a cooler spot in his bed
Dr. Johnson : good luck, I hope your vet can give you a more specific answer
Customer : thank you
Dr. Johnson : please click accept if I have been helpful

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
brave, thank you so much for finding that. Sounds just like cash he has a fever also and just wanted to sleep yesterday. now looking up hypertrophic osteodystrophy and its symptoms.
I dont know why this vet talked me out of getting cash tested for lyme disease and ticks i want him to get tested tomorrow so i can rule it out for sure.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine had pano, but it wasn't until he was probably eight to ten months old maybe. His father didn't have it until he was a year old. And even with the diagnosis from my vet, we were not placed on antibiotics; just a pain reliever. There is no treatment for pano, since dogs outgrow the condition. They are just given pain medications for relief. I would suggest either demanding the Snap test for Lyme from your current vet, or seeking a second opinion from a different vet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think i messed up when i said antibiotics he was prescribed three different things and I'm guessing they are all for pain. I am just worried since he has been whining all day and wasnt yesterday. Finding a new vet to go to tomorrow. I hope we can find out whats wrong for sure

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
i think i messed up when i said antibiotics he was prescribed three different things and I'm guessing they are all for pain. I am just worried since he has been whining all day and wasnt yesterday. Finding a new vet to go to tomorrow. I hope we can find out whats wrong for sure
Can you list what he is being given?

·
Registered
355 Posts
No worries :) Also, I think the only way to positively identify pano is through x-rays. However, my vet, breeder, and I all agreed under my circumstances that Kuy had pano, and treated without x-rays.

Hopefully you get things figured out for your poor boy soon. Best of luck in your vet search and visit. Please post an update when you have one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i will put what medications he is on up here in a little!
The vet i swore said that xrays were not a for sure sign to see if pano was the case. This was great news to me since i am a college student on a small budget but i think x rays and more tests are needed now

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Have you contacted your Breeder for help? Perhaps the breeder can shed some light or at least recommend a vet. If you're on a tight budget, I'd consider health insurance for your puppy--vet bills add up fast

·
Registered
355 Posts
Fellow broke college student here. I feel your pain! I would start with the other vet, voice your concerns, try the Snap test, and then x-rays last. I highly doubt it's pano. I agree with Sheets too; my breeder has been a tremendous resource through every step.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts