Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled this boy from Harnett County Animal Shelter for our rescue today. Some things about him make me think he might be around a year old or more, like he hikes his leg (he is unneutered) to pee and he is overly interested in my boys "boy parts". But then he is very much puppy like. He is extremely needy and really eager to please. He weighs about 35-40 lbs or so (he goes to the vet and his full time foster Monday). When I looked at these pictures of him, he looks a lot like Crew, one of my past fosters who was a purebred. Except Crew didn't get his feathers and stuff until he was about 11-12 months old.

We are calling him George, and he seems to like it. LOL

He has a really black belly and his feet are black. I bathed him when we got him home because he was just nasty from being in the shelter. He is also pretty itchy, so I am leaning towards a possible yeast infection.

Obviously, the rescue has him in the program, but I was just curious if other folks thought he might just be a young, purebred golden.

·
Premium Member
18,600 Posts
...Obviously, the rescue has him in the program, but I was just curious if other folks thought he might just be a young, purebred golden.

I think you are absolutely right, he is a young pure bred Golden. Nice looking boy.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Gosh he sure looks like a 6-7 month old Golden to me....

·
16,000 Posts
Definately purebred, and perhaps in the 6-9 month range. His coat is quite typical of that age. Nowhere near a "full" bib and furnishings - he looks like he'l have a very nice coat.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I wonder what's his story...so young and very handsome...

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He and a smaller female (black and tan mix breed) were dropped in the drop box at the shelter. The drop box is about the size of a medium to large dog crate. Good thing they were both good with other dogs! I saw his picture on the shelter's website and emailed it to our intake person. I told her I could pull him today, so we got there when the shelter opened to get him. Unfortunately, this shelter does not require spay/neuter and it's in a very rural area, so we were lucky to get there first.

He is really sweet, but extremely hyper tonight, not that you can tell from the pictures. I got those when he finally settled down. We have had the Indy 500 in the backyard several times today. LOL

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
He is lovely - and looks younger than a year still. I couldn't see much feathering in the pics except that it looks like his tail is pretty full. Best wishes with him! (And it only takes one flea to make them itchy for a week!) If he still smells punky after the bath then it could be a yeast or skin infection. How are his ears? That's where the itchies usually start.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Definitely purebred, gorgeous, nice pigment! Looks more like 9 months to me- his face and, uh... his manhood lol

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
yup he is about the size of my Scout. 6-7 moths. he is a keeper. soooo cute. Who would let this baby go?

I've been thinking about this guy and now say 8-9 months, but def. below a year.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
He sure looks like a purebred young golden. That black tummy screams staph infection to me, but I've also known young goldens whose black groin didn't mean anything medical, and the coloring eventually turned to pinkish.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He sure looks like a purebred young golden. That black tummy screams staph infection to me, but I've also known young goldens whose black groin didn't mean anything medical, and the coloring eventually turned to pinkish.
My Jasper has a black belly. His is thyroid related, I think, but it hasn't gone away in the two years he has been on soloxine.

He isn't good with cats (that's why he has a leash on). He tried to grab one of mine, aggressively. Fortunately, I never leave the fosters alone with my cats and I don't take the leash off until I know that they are good with the cats. He has also growled at my dogs a couple of times when he wanted all of my attention. Which isn't unusual with a shelter pup at the beginning. All of a sudden they have a house, lots of attention, food and all sorts of good things. Why would they want to share after not having any kind of good stuff?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
At 7 months Lucky had full feathers. He pretty muched looked the same from 8 months to 1.5 years.. I think Goldens develop so different...

He is gorgeous!

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
I would say 7-9 month range, just a little guy. Cute!

·
Brady's Mama
47 Posts
How in the WORLD can you say that's a purebred when he is obviously not?? My friends own a dog that looks almost exactly like a golden, people ask all the time if he is, but he is a mix of golden, beagle and lab. I have a lot of doubts that he is purebred from those pictures.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts