Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This is my first post in this forum. I just adopted a 2 year old Golden. I am his third owner! He came most recently from a family that found that he required too much effort for them. I got him home and discovered that I do not have any problem with his behavior. In fact I'm glad to get a young dog that is housebroken and so well behaved. He was hard to walk on a leash at first, but after a week of serious walking he is 80% improved. I am worried about his endurance. I walk him 2 miles in the morning and one at night. It seems that he tires after about a mile. He tries to stop and sit or lie down wherever we happen to be. I just keep him going anyway. When we get home he drinks and then lies down like he's exhausted. It's early spring here in southern Wisconsin so it's still in the upper thirties early in the morning and in the late evening. I notice that he tires less when it's cool and more easily at midday when the sun is up and the temps are in the 50's. Also, I think he's a little bit overweight at 88 lbs and 23" at the shoulder. He's a big-boned dog, however his ribs have a good layer of fat over them. He was just at the vet for an annual check-up; no problems there. I've only had him for a week, so perhaps that's not enough time for my walking regimen to whip him into shape. I've had a Lab in the past; he was a ball of energy. Is my new Golden just out of shape? -- Matt

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
he probably is out of shape. i would let up a bit on him. you wouldn't be able to run a marathon the first day you try - especially if you are out of shape.

he'll get there, and be much more energetic once he's lost some weight and built up to that amount of exercise.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Wow-if he truly does stand 23" at the shoulder, then he is really overweight! My boy is about 23 1/2" and in good show weight (lots of muscle), weighs in at about 72 pounds.

I would assume part of his issue is the excess weight and probably lack of much exercise previously.

His annual check up should have included a Snap-4 to make sure he was clear of heartworm and tick disease. Do you have any information regarding his hips? Hip dysplasia can make walking not only an effort but painful as well.

If everything has been checked, then you just need to work with him to lose weight and to get him into better shape physically.

What are you feeding him?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
If everything medically has checked out as Linda has outlined above, work him up to walking that distance. Just as with humans, start him out slowly and build upon that. He didn't get out of shape all at once, nor we he become fit all at once. Best to go slowly and not risk injury. And, yes, welcome to the forum. Thank you for rescuing this boy

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would agree that your boy is a little on the heavy side and out of shape. No worries tho because that can be fixed. I would just start out the exercise slowly. If you notice he gets tired after a mile, then just start off with a mile walk total. Every week or so I would add a little bit to the walk. Eventually he will be in shape in no time. I would also suggest to put him on a light dog food to help get some of the weight off. Some people have also suggested putting green beans into his food to cut out some of the fat of dog food. The green beans are low calorie and good for them, plus it makes them feel full longer. Thanks for rescuing. It sounds like your boy has a wonderful home with you!!!!!

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I would say he is just out of shape and maybe he never been on a walk.

Shorten you're walk a little for now until he gets used to it and looses a little weight.

Thanks for rescuing!!

·
Just make it happen
481 Posts
Poor dog, I hate it when owners don't provide the right exercise for their dog. I would start with short distances and then increase steadily over time. Good luck with him!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Matt,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new golden. I agree with everyone else and shorten the walks and slowly work up the distances. Also if you have a place available for them to swim, then I would try that also. What kind of food are you feeding him? You may have to lessen the food amount and add some unsalted green beans to fill him up. Good luck and cant wait to see pictures of him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great input. Like I said, I had a yellow Lab twenty years ago. He could run 7 miles with me without breaking a sweat (the way he did it he ran about 15 miles to my 7 :) . I'm guessing my new Golden (Barkley) was a neglected, invisible fence, yard dog. He's got a new life now though. I have a shop on 10 acres surrounded by hundreds of acres of crop land and a house on one half of an acre nearby. I'm going to install an invisible fence on the half acre and also on an acre or two at the shop. He's got company too. The neighbors have a female golden who he plays with during the day. We also have a small female cat that has Barkley under tight control. -- Matt

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
We all know who sent you to rescue Barkley!!!! What a wonderful match - a dog who needs to get in shape and a furdad who is active. You should change his name to "Lucky"!;);)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It sounds like you have an out of shape boy there. 88 pounds is probably 10-15 lbs heavier than he should be for his size. My guys walk three miles a day and still have tons of energy when we get home. Keep up the training regime and cut back the kibble and you will have a bouncing boy in no time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
He will build up endurance quickly. It sounds like my same scenario with Max - 3rd family in 2 years, overweight, and under-exercised. With just over two months on quality food, and exercise (although you and I differ greatly on exercise - I have never ran 7 miles straight). However, when I first got Max he tired quickly, but we are slowly building up his walk length. He now has much more energy, and has lost some of the weight - it is a work in progress. Good luck with it! He is a good looking dog.

·
Bailey and Riley
1,454 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Forum!! Barkley is beautiful...love his big smile. So glad you and Barkley found each other. Thank you for rescuing this special boy.
Oh yeah, we love pictures! :)

~Jackie

·
16,000 Posts
He IS lucky! Do work slowly on losing the weight, and safely building him up to more vigorous exercise. If swimming is an option, go for it = no concussion on already stressed joints. I'd be very careful about too much running/jumping etc until he becomes more fit. In an overweight dog, this can wreck havoc on hips, elbows, and shoulders. As he begins to lose a bit of weight you can start to increase the amount of physical activity.

He's very pretty, and welcome to the forum!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
How are his knees? I ask because Daisy was like that when she had ACL tears in her knee joints. I'd have your vet check that out. If it is his knees, you want to be sensitive to when he's ready to stop ... because it hurts. ACL injuries are not uncommon in dogs that are even a little bit overweight.

Just a thought I wanted to throw out there. Sounds like you have a greate friend there, he's beautiful!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Matt,
Barkley is a very handsome boy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
... (although you and I differ greatly on exercise - I have never ran 7 miles straight)...
It's been 20 years since I could run like that. I'd be lucky if i could run awhole mile these days. But this dog has got me out there getting more exercise than I've had in a long time. It's great for both of us. -- Matt

1 - 20 of 40 Posts