Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Kristy
10,741 Posts
Did you ask the vet WHY he is hesitant to give antibiotic? It might make you feel better to understand the thought process. It's my understanding that it's not always treated because it doesn't really shorten the duration of the diarrhea. My main concern would be making sure the puppy isn't dehydrating. The chicken and rice is bland and reduced amounts give his system a break. If he's eating that food and drinking, it just needs time to run it's course. And you'll want to follow the directions strictly on cleaning.

Have you let your puppy's breeder know that this is happening? He may not be the only puppy suffering. A lot of times these bacteria are present and don't cause a problem until the dog is stressed in some way from another illness or going to a new home. Then the stress allows the bacteria to overtake the immune system. If you're not sure, a second opinion from a different vet might make you feel better. I'm sorry you're going through this, it's no fun to have a sick puppy and leash walking is aggravating but he will get used to it if you're consistent. Hang in there, you will get through this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.