Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got back of one week of tent camping with Tucker. After not knowing what to expect I have to say he is quite the camp dog! He could not have been better behaved. He settled right down into a routine quickly, and really just wanted to be with us, and that was all. He only barked for food and water, or to be taken away from camp to do his business. Funny how he would not go in camp- guess he wanted to do his part keeping the camp clean! At dinner he got free reign of the our screened enclosure. We did lots of walks, and took him swimming in the lake. He learned that he loves to retrieve his water wubba from the lake.

The only issue we had was that 90% of the dogs at the campground were poorly trained. We only let Tucker greet 2 of the many many dogs we encountered, and he was great with them- one golden and a small maltese (or similar) puppy. Both very well behaved. Most of the other dogs were lunging at the ends of their flexileads. I have yet to see a well behaved dog on a flexilead. Tucker got charged by 3 dogs that got away from their owners. Luckily I was able to get between them and keep Tucker under control until the owners came and got their dogs. One time was kind of funny as a daschund charged Tucker growling, barking and making a fuss. I had control of Tucker and told him sternly to sit as I did not want him getting worked up by the other dog. Well when I said sit, not only did Tucker sit, but the daschund shut up and sat as well! It was kind of comical. The owner's 6 year old son came and picked up the dog, as he was "watching" the dog. Who leaves a 6 year old watching a dog, even a daschund? The other times it was a chow mix who got away from a 12 year old boy who left him tied to his bicycle, and from a woman who let her boston terrier swim off lead. When her BT saw Tucker walking with me she bolted from the lake and did not even flinch when the owner called her back. Nice recall lady. I was so tempted to lay into her, but it would have been a waste of my breath.

But Tucker certainly made up for it with being such a joy to have around. Do you think he had a good time?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm thinking Yes!! Tucker seems to be enjoying the camping lifestyle!! Way to go for being such a good boy Tucker!!

I'm glad he was so awesome (who would expect anyting otherwise ;) ) but it must have been frustrating to be surrounded by unruly dogs! I'm glad you all had a good time!

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
you should try running a boarding kennel sometime, you want to hear about untrained, unruly, undisciplined dogs....
Love the photo! Looks like you guys had a great time!
A tired dog is a good dog!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
sunshine and fresh air....nothing better...Tucker looks soooo relaxed!

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
I have to admit, when we took Flora camping, one of the most poorly behaved dogs was a gorgeous golden retriever. Whenever he saw Flora he would start rumbling deep in his throat and lunging at her. We never have a problem with Flora and other dogs because she has absolutely 0 interest in dogs, so when we walk by other dogs people think she's just fabulously trained because she doesn't even glance at them. Little do they know...

Glad Tucker did so well! Your campground looks so nice! Ours had some really dusty gravel so Flora was constantly getting sandy and dirty.

·
Mom to rescue Murphy
191 Posts
I'm glad your camping trip was still fun for Tucker! He looks sacked out!

I agree about the flexilead. What's funny is that my F-I-L thinks we are big meanies for using a regular lead with Murphy! He keeps encouraging us to get a flexi, b/c he uses one with his cockapoo...he says stuff like "he'll be able to ramble so much more on one of these!" We're like, "yeah, we KNOW! That's why we don't use one!" LOL.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know Tucker has some issues meeting other dogs, as he is a bit insecure with some larger dogs due to having a couple turn on him when he was a pup. We are working with on this with a trainer to nip this in the bud. So now I have to be very selective about who we greet, they really need to be a stable and relaxed dogs. He will ignore other dogs when we walk by and I tell him leave it. But he did get a bit growly a couple of times. Once he had his head in my wife's lap getting petted and this woman with her hands full with chairs and her dog on a flexilead (of course) let her dog get right up in Tucker's crotch. Tucker did not like this rude behavior and turned and growled at the dog. I could hardly blame him, and I saw it coming, but I could not block the other dog in time to keep it from happening.

Tucker surprised us on how quickly he picked up on a routine. He did bark and growl the first couple nights in the tent when our family in other tents would get up to go to the bathroom in the middle night. But after a couple of nights, he knew who it was, and then just slept thru the night. We got a good laugh one morning when he noticed a pair of wading boots under one of the cars that weren't there earlier, and started growling to protect us. When I walked him over and showed him what it was, he gave me this look like, "Boy do I feel dumb!" LOL I was also amazed how quickly he would clean up after a rainy muddy day we had early on. We got about 2" of rain, and even though Tucker was under cover, he still got wet and muddy. The rain stopped by 2 pm, by dinnertime he was dry and we brushed out the rest of the dirt. Did not even need a bath.

Hotel4Dogs- I can just imagine all the dogs you must come across. To me, the worst dogs are the little ones. They seem to get away with everything.

I think I enjoyed most having Tucker sleep with us in the tent. Not knowing how he would be, we brought his crate. We did not even need it. He curled up between my wife and boys, and in the morning he would come over and snuggle in with me. Just when I could not love him any more, he does something to make him even more endearing!

My SIL commented that Tucker was like Lassie- he would start barking and we would be like, "Oh, he needs water. Or food. Or needs to go potty" She was amazed how in tune we were with what he needed, and that once we gave him what he needed, he settled right back down.

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
Your family camping trip sounds just great and I'm sure it wouldn't have been as much fun with out Tucker. He sounds like a real special dog.
Jerry and Harley

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
you've got that right!!!

Hotel4Dogs- I can just imagine all the dogs you must come across. To me, the worst dogs are the little ones. They seem to get away with everything.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question, are there any little dogs that are not insecure, yappy little brats? I have yet to meet a small dog that I would actually consider owning. I cannot believe that all little dogs are like this, but my experiences are telling me otherwise. Are there laid back little dogs?

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
I hate to say it, but we don't get too many here that aren't yappy and obnoxious. If a dog is going to pee/poop inside all the time, chances are it's a little dog. If a dog is going to bite me, chances are it's a little dog. If a dog is going to stress themself sick, chances are it's a little dog.
I sincerely believe it's not the dogs, it's the owners. A lot of the little dogs that I encounter are "infant substitutes". When they show up with the dog in a bathrobe and bunny slippers, I know I'm in trouble....oh, Fifi has to have fresh chopped food 3 times a day or she won't eat (wanna bet???).
I do get a couple that are really cool dogs. They tend to belong to people who also have small children, and the dogs are not the center of the known universe. They're dogs. Loved, cared for, but treated like dogs, not children.
I get some really nice Cavalier King Charles spaniels. It's my favorite of the smaller breeds by far.

Question, are there any little dogs that are not insecure, yappy little brats? I have yet to meet a small dog that I would actually consider owning. I cannot believe that all little dogs are like this, but my experiences are telling me otherwise. Are there laid back little dogs?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have a westie who is awesome, and I generally do not like little dogs.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I hate to say it, but we don't get too many here that aren't yappy and obnoxious. If a dog is going to pee/poop inside all the time, chances are it's a little dog. If a dog is going to bite me, chances are it's a little dog. If a dog is going to stress themself sick, chances are it's a little dog.
I sincerely believe it's not the dogs, it's the owners. A lot of the little dogs that I encounter are "infant substitutes". When they show up with the dog in a bathrobe and bunny slippers, I know I'm in trouble....oh, Fifi has to have fresh chopped food 3 times a day or she won't eat (wanna bet???).
I do get a couple that are really cool dogs. They tend to belong to people who also have small children, and the dogs are not the center of the known universe. They're dogs. Loved, cared for, but treated like dogs, not children.
Same way at my daycare/boarding...This one maltese came in with like 3 bags fulls of beds, clothes, toys, special food, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts