Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
My 5 month old puppy is currently eating about ~1450 calories. He eats 3 cups of PPP LBP three times a day which is 1257 calories. He gets one dental chew which is 98 calories. The rest of his calories come from his training treats. I usually give him beef liver which is about 1 cal per treat or other treats which are about 3-4 cal per treat. I might be overestimating his treat calories. I’m worried he might be eating too less for his age. When I tried to research this, some sites say he should be about eating ~2000 calories per day, which seems like a lot to me.
He’s on the small side for his age (~33lbs on Sunday) but he’s not thin. I’ve attached his pics from the side and the top. My vet’s not worried about his weight.
Also, he was on a Hills Science prescription diet for a month because of urinary crystals but he was finally given permission to go back to regular puppy food so I’m curious if he’s getting enough calories.
Additionally, he gets two thirty minute walks a day and also trains twice a day.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Kristy
10,284 Posts
Your puppy is better off being just a bit too lean rather than a bit too heavy. As his growth starts to slow down in the next few months, you may need to adjust food amount based on how much exercise he is getting and how many training treats. It's often just a balancing thing from month to month depending on your schedule and how he's looking. Some good reading for you: Purina Health Study

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your puppy is better off being just a bit too lean rather than a bit too heavy. As his growth starts to slow down in the next few months, you may need to adjust food amount based on how much exercise he is getting and how many training treats. It's often just a balancing thing from month to month depending on your schedule and how he's looking. Some good reading for you: Purina Health Study
Wow that health study was an eye opener. Such a difference the amount of food makes in a dog's life. Simba is still gaining about 1.5-2 lbs a week so I'm not too worried about his weight. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts