Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today after Lucy's training I took her to meet a new golden male friend, 7 months tomorrow to be exact. When I got to their house I got a completely different reaction from what I was expecting from goldens. Pretty much this male golden was very dominant of his territory and my friend could not even get near or even say anything to Lucy he would growl and start barking at Lucy and snapping aswell. I was freaking out quite a bit I must admit and I was so desperate to leave as soon as possible. This was so weird because I have met so many other goldens and none have ever been this way. Is this something that happens sometimes, might it be a bad idea to try and see if they can become friends in the future? I worry that Lucy will think barking at other dogs will be a normal thing to do. Would it be a bad idea for them to interact even though this male golden was not very nice at all? :wavey:

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
A good way to introduce 2 dogs is to have them meet on neutral territory. Have your friend and her dog meet you and Lucy on the street and have a walk together first... let the dogs sniff eachother while on leash, keep it casual, and just walk down the street a bit. After a while, try to move inside, or if your friend has a fenced in backyard, that's a better place. Let the dogs offleash in the backyard, and let them smell eachother, and maybe (hopefully!) even start to play a bit. Then if things calm down a bit, you can try bringing them inside the house. It just sounds like your friends pup is feeling threatened in his territory and maybe even a little jealous of his mom paying attention to another pup. Good luck!!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
When two dogs meet for the first time I find it best if they do it on neutral territory. The male dog was probably guarding his home and his human. If you could have met at a park nearby they probably would have gotten along great.

It also helps if the humans stay in the background when dogs meet.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
A good way to introduce 2 dogs is to have them meet on neutral territory. Have your friend and her dog meet you and Lucy on the street and have a walk together first... let the dogs sniff eachother while on leash, keep it casual, and just walk down the street a bit. After a while, try to move inside, or if your friend has a fenced in backyard, that's a better place. Let the dogs offleash in the backyard, and let them smell eachother, and maybe (hopefully!) even start to play a bit. Then if things calm down a bit, you can try bringing them inside the house. It just sounds like your friends pup is feeling threatened in his territory and maybe even a little jealous of his mom paying attention to another pup. Good luck!!
First ...You and I hang out here to much.

Second ...you type faster than me. LOL:D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something else that I noticed was how he was also snapping at my friend, he would not bite but he would snap at her. Is this normal for goldens at that age?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts