Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
This is the view from my sister's deck. You can usually see the ocean. Very hazy with smoke. She lives in the Santa Cruz mountains, over 100 miles away from the fires...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
This is from my kitchen window. Between the two houses across the street, I usually have a very clear view of the SF Bay. I'm a little over 50 miles away from the fires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
We are Ok here in el dorado county. We've inhaled quite a bit of smoke however, and people around here are definitely on edge. I've been keeping a cat crate and the dog's leashes by the front door in case we need a fast exit. The thing that scared me the most about these fires was how they popped up all over (it seemed) and then spread so quickly that people couldn't outrun them. My heart is with all the people hurt by these awful fires, and especially with the fire fighters, police, and everyone else who have been trying to save people, animals, homes, and more.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
The fire in the Santa Cruz mountains is very, very close to my sister's house. She'a always been OCD about having everything ready to evacuate. They were evacuated last year and she and her husband were out of their house, with her dog and three cats, in less than 10 minutes.

This is the anniversary of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Her house jumped off it's foundation during that earthquake. She had to be out for almost a month. It's a beautiful place to live but dangerous, too. Please keep good thoughts...

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have been following the fires pretty closely having family and friends in the area. Blitz co breeder is only about 100 yards from a evacuation area that keeps changing from mandatory to advisory depending on which way the wind is blowing. She is packed and ready to go should she need to. The loss of life has been heart wrenching to say the least. A Bernese breeder lost all her dogs and only survived herself as she was pulled from the house while trying desperately to get back to her dogs. The firefighter did try and go right back for the dogs and the puppies but the fire was to fast :(

So many sites on facebook for people trying to find the animals that ran away during evac or that the owners simply did not have time to get. Could one of the Mods please add the name Molly to the rainbow bridge? Molly was a 10 month old golden retriever that so many people were trying to help find that sadly was just learned did not make it :(

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
The fire in the Santa Cruz mountains is very, very close to my sister's house. She'a always been OCD about having everything ready to evacuate. They were evacuated last year and she and her husband were out of their house, with her dog and three cats, in less than 10 minutes.

This is the anniversary of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Her house jumped off it's foundation during that earthquake. She had to be out for almost a month. It's a beautiful place to live but dangerous, too. Please keep good thoughts...
Hope all is ok for your sister. I grew up very near there and have friends in the area. It's scary when a place you know so well is in the news and not for a good thing...

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Hope all is ok for your sister. I grew up very near there and have friends in the area. It's scary when a place you know so well is in the news and not for a good thing...

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
She, her husband and animals are all
okay. Thanks for asking. :)

She said the smoke is horrible and it's the worst she has ever experienced. I heard we're supposed to get rain but now I don't see it in the weather forecast. :confused: At least the temps have dropped. I'm glad you're doing well also. Scary...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Kwhit, Glad to hear your sister, family and animals are all safe. Our air is still very bad, the schools are staying closed for the rest of the week because of it. I had also heard rain but looking at the forecast now it doesn't look like much.

Praying that all these fires are out soon!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
From Mendocino Animal Hospital on FaceBook:
"This is the first of our unclaimed fire pets.
She is a female Golden Retriever who was brought to us by Animal Control after being found in a grassy area on the side of West Road. She had severe burns to her feet, back, abdomen, mouth, nose and eyes and was suffering from smoke inhalation.

We're estimating her age to be around 6 or 7, but could be older or younger. She is currently being treated for her pain, having daily foot soaks, bandage changes and receiving laser therapy on her wounds. She is still a little finicky with food but overall is doing well considering what this girl has been thru. She is currently being fostered by one of our reception staff.

If you recognize her or think you may know who she belongs to, please contact us or Animal Control. Feel free to share this post."

Poor baby! Her humans must be in extreme dire circumstances to have not found her yet, don't you think? or they assumed she died in the fire?
So very sad on all accounts!

·
Registered
991 Posts
She is looking so much better then when she came in though! I thought that they said she came out of home that not everyone survived? Maybe some misinformation originally when she was brought in. Hope she finds her family.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts