Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Kristy
9,309 Posts
Fire is a terrifying disaster, I can only imagine how terrified they are to be going through this. I remember fires in Florida many years ago when I lived there and my home wasn't threatened, it was still unsettling to have the air filled with smoke and ash floating thickly, day after day after day. Special prayers for the firefighters, amazing heroes for the work they do under brutal heat and exhausting conditions. My heart goes out to everyone. It is a beautiful area of the world.

·
Registered
17,489 Posts
Also sending prayers to everyone affected.

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
Prayers to everyone affected. We drove through the mountains during the fire in the Blue Ridge last year. Although we (thank goodness) saw no flames, the smoke was terrifying!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Fire update

I live in Napa, and the fires are devastating. We had huge winds Sunday evening and the fires exploded in multiple areas. There is currently zero containment. I have not evacuated, the Partrick fire is near us on the western hills but our home is safe for now. Air quality is horrendous, we are staying indoors with windows closed and I take Cody out just to go potty and then right back indoors. Our home currently has no power or cell service but my office does have power so I can charge my devices, answer messages etc. there.

The community is wonderful with helping people and animals, there are several places taking in animals including horses, livestock, chickens, etc. The lack of information and communication is difficult.

Winds are supposed to pick back up later today so really hoping for some progress on containing the fire. Unfortunately the first responders are spread so thin because the fires all started so fast.

We do have a place to go if we need to evacuate. Here is a picture from my back deck early Monday morning:

Attachments

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Stay safe NapaValleyGolden. Good to know that you have a place to go and are taking precautions. I pray they get these fires contained quickly.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,297 Posts
Napavalleygolden, good to hear you are safe at the moment, hope you will continue to be.

Prayers the fires are contained soon, the loss of life and devastation is so sad to see.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I am in the other fires further north. The fires here in Nevada County are smaller in size than what NapaValleyGolden is experiencing. This area is quite rural with most homes on wooded acreage that is at peak summer dryness right now. The closest fire to me was 5 miles away. We did not have to evacuate but have been super anxious since the fires started late Sunday night. We did lose power but have a generator, I love my generator!! Today going to work on my regular route I drove by where the fire hit and saw several of the homes that had burned to the ground. Its just crazy to see that devastation! Then, while at work another fire broke out that was less than 2 miles from my house! Because of the other fires being active they got the bombers on it immediately and dropped the retardant. It got contained very quickly. So far we only know of 1 friend that got hit, not his house but his detached garage that has (had) 3 classic cars destroyed.
I am so over fire season.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Pammie, hope the fires in your area are improving. Seems like the whole state is on fire!

In Napa County the situation is still very bad, there is at most 1-2% containment of some fires and some none at all. A large part of the city of Napa is under an evacuation advisory, which means be ready to go within 15 minutes if needed. Large parts of the county, including the city of Calistoga, have been completely evacuated. Sonoma county has been hit very hard.

On a positive note, the wind has not come back up as predicted so firefighters are beginning to establish some perimeters. We have a large water treatment plant that is currently threatened and they have taken a stand there.

Cody is not happy having to stay in the house, the air is so bad and we are wearing face masks when outside. We hope to go to the mountains this weekend just to get away from the bad air for a couple of days and give Cody some outside time.

Our first responders are working tirelessly and the assistance coming in is incredible. Please keep California in your thoughts and prayers.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,297 Posts
Continued thoughts and prayers to everyone there.
Been following the coverage on the network news and reading various reports on different news agencies and seeing the pictures. It looks so awful, I know many people have lost everything..........

Sad to see what has happened to the Wineries too.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
My 2 boys breeders are both in that area. Masters Goldens & Merlot Goldens. I pray they are all safe.
Migs, I know Masters/Jennifer is safe. She wrote on her personal page that she was not touched by the fires and that she has taken in 8 dogs of people who have been displaced!
On another note, my niece has a Merlot dog! :)
-she lives in Napa, is in a mandatory evac zone but did not go. :(

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
I can't imagine being in that area now! Must be absolutely horrible.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Migs, I know Masters/Jennifer is safe. She wrote on her personal page that she was not touched by the fires and that she has taken in 8 dogs of people who have been displaced!
On another note, my niece has a Merlot dog! :)
-she lives in Napa, is in a mandatory evac zone but did not go. :(
Pammie - Thanks for the Masters update. We spoke with Merlot yesterday, they had to evacuate all their animals (they are a farm with animals & Goldens).
Its so scary up there. I hope you stay safe & sound.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Prayers for all of you in the area....the pics are awful....soo sad....I have a friend on FB , she lives in Napa, she has moved 3 times, it keeps following her, she 's not sure how her house is... Must be quite stressful.. Hopefully they can somehow get these fires contained...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts