Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been to California two times before and we love it! Never been there with our kids though. They are 8 and 11 years old. We are there March 27-April 6. We fly and rent a car so we don't have much traveling time to get there.

We like to spend 1-2 days in San Fransisco, we want to go to Sequoia Nat.Park, visit Monterey and Hearst castle in San Simeon. And we need to be in San Jose April 3.

Anyone with suggestions for any other must-sees?
Thanks!!:wavey:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
We've been to California two times before and we love it! Never been there with our kids though. They are 8 and 11 years old. We are there March 27-April 6. We fly and rent a car so we don't have much traveling time to get there.

We like to spend 1-2 days in San Fransisco, we want to go to Sequoia Nat.Park, visit Monterey and Hearst castle in San Simeon. And we need to be in San Jose April 3.

Disneyland of course!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O my goodness no...:doh::).We've been to Disneyland/world a couple of times now with the kids. The annual Rental Show from the American Rental Association is in Orlando so we've been there twice (we own a rental store). And we've visited Disney in Paris.
We've seen enough of Mickey for the next ten years! ;)
We love to go back to Florida to visit Kennedy Space centre one more time. Our youngest got sick while we were there so we had to leave...:(
Thanks for your reply though!

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
If you are traveling south by car from San Francisco toward San Jose do not take 101! It's probably the ugliest and busiest route.

Take HWY 1 along the coast to Santa Cruz (and the Boardwalk as Jackson's mom recommended). It's a bit longer but worth it! You can go all the way to Monterey like this.

OR

Take 280 south which is inland but a very nice drive. If heading toward Monterey you will eventually end up on HWY 1 after crossing over the infamous HWY 17 in the south bay (San Jose).

Have fun. Lots to do and see and it will be gorgeous spring here at that time!

Also, remember to bring layers of clothes. The weather can be as cold as winter AND as warm as summer all in the same day.

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
Aaahhhhh....Monterey and Carmel = Heaven on Earth. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We fly Vancouver-San Fransisco

From San Fransisco we want to go East to Sacramento, Lake Tahoe. Then south to Sequoia and then back west along the coast (HW 1).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Santa Cruz boardwalk..we didn't do that so far! Thanks Jackson's mom!
And we are not taking the 101 because we already know how pretty the 1 along the coast is! O and in Monterey we go and visit the aquarium ofcourse!
What is the temperature going to be during the day GRZ? Mornings and evenings are chilly I guess.
Thanks everybody! We are looking forward that's for sure! Summers are crazy at our store that's why we want to go in the spring.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If it's like it was in the 80's, Knotts Berry Farm, which is more or less an amusement park.

And, if they still exist and you are into Auto Racing, find a Malibu Grand Prix and do a few laps :)

As for eats, two of the best come from California:

1. RoundTable Pizza.

2. El Pollo Loco (The Crazy Chicken). Open-Pit, char-broiled marinated chicken to die for!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
If it's like it was in the 80's, Knotts Berry Farm, which is more or less an amusement park.

And, if they still exist and you are into Auto Racing, find a Malibu Grand Prix and do a few laps :)

1. RoundTable Pizza.

2. El Pollo Loco (The Crazy Chicken). Open-Pit, char-broiled marinated chicken to die for!
And you can't forget In-N-Out!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O we love autoracing!! Do we take our rental car or one of theirs? :)
I just heard that one of our employees totalled the company's pickup...Upside down in the ditch! My husband just picked him up and brought him to emergency just in case. I think he is allright. Could be much worse! The other ditch was a 30 mtr drop of!!!
Thanks for the restaurant tips!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great choice!! Just a word of warning, in some areas PCH can be a little windy so if you've got a carsick prone person in the car, be careful. :)
Nope we are not prone to carsickness. Only Taco is a car puker:yuck: but he has to stay home! He stays at the breeder that week and will get to know his brother/sister better. We will pick up our new pup as soon as we are back!

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
SF to Tahoe about 4 hour drive up 80 (north Shore, Truckee, beautiful Sierras) or about the same to South shore on Hwy 50 - - Hwy 50 south shore more picturesque really. Then you can drop down out of south shore and go thru all the little mountain towns (redwoods) and head south. Eventually you gotta cut over and go down I-5 to Cattleman City then head west thru Paso Robles, get on Hwy 101 for about 5 miles then cut over to Hwy 1 following the signs that say Cambria-Hearst Castle. Once you hit hwy 1 San Simeon is only about 20 minutes up the road. In Cambria go to http://www.linnsfruitbin.com/restaurant for the best homemade pies (Olliaberry) and it's a MUST that you have dinner/lunch at Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill---you sit, watch the sunset outside, with forced air heaters under the table, nice vino, and order the Cajun Bay Shimp & Scallops with fresh sourdough bread - HEAVEN!!! Kick around in Cambria for a day then do the Castle tour---then just go on up Hwy 1 thru Big Sur, Monterey, etc...........I might have spent a little time around there lololol
Here's pic of Moonstone Beach:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/sharlinphotos/IMG_7744Medium.jpg

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks Sharlin! Lovvvee the pictures!
O I see you live in Sacramento. I love that place.
We seriously looked into moving to Ca. We still were in Holland back then. In 1997 we spend 4 weeks on the west coast, flew to Hawaii and got married there (no family/friends, we absolutely loved it!)and when we came back we were homesick (it wasn't our 'home' though!)Years later we still couldn't get the whole idea out of our heads. Kids were little and we thought, if we want make the big move we better do it now.
The USA is tough for getting a green card that's why we decided to go to Canada (after waiting for our Visa for a year and a half). O well: What's the difference?
Love Canada Love USA...

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you are going down the coast (HW 1) you are going to pass right by us! We are in Half Moon Bay! If the weather gets a little better, you can stop and let the kids play at the beach! The Boardwalk in Santa Cruz would be fun and then keep going down to The Monterey Aquarium. That is a great trip and you could almost spend the whole day in there! Sounds like you guys are going to have so much fun!

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Here's three more at Moonstone Beach in Cambria - about 10 miles north of San Simeon on Hwy 1 there is a BIG heard of elephant seals that have been there for a long time. CA has fenced it off and put a boardwalk where you can go take pics - - be sure and stop.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

1. RoundTable Pizza.

Knotts Berry Farm, due to being the lowest-priced amusement park in the area, is no longer a place I would recommend taking kids, especially in the evening. :( The last time I went was on Toys for Tots day when you could get in with a toy and a $10 donation, which was really scary, but even on normal days it's not too nice. Neither is Magic Mountain. Disneyland is basically the only amusement park I'd take kids to in southern CA.

El Pollo Loco is so good! I haven't had good Mexican or even semi-Mexican food in so long and I drive past a Pollo Loco every week on the way to volunteering, it makes me hungry. Someday I'm going to bribe the driver of the carpool to stop and let me get food. In N Out is also a must.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts