Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if goldens go through a fear period around 21 months? Caleb has been getting spooked really easily in the last few weeks.

The first major thing I noticed was dh had left a rubber glove (the kind for washing dishes) on the edge of the bathtub and Caleb was completely freaked out by it. It was funny, cuz he really wanted to check it out, but he was so scared, so did this funny little dance, edging towards it and then jumping back away.

When we walk him at night, he's been a lot more nervous about shadows and people passing by. He's also been barking a lot more in the house. He'll woof and then come get me to check it out with him. Usually there's nothing there, sometimes it's a cat or a person walking by.

Other than not babying him, what can I do to help him out?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have no idea how to help you or Caleb, but I also have a skittish dog. She was afraid of her food bowl because it moves around and makes noise on the floor when she'd eat (stainless steel). She's also timid, and we're working on trying to give her more confidence.
I'll be reading the responses, and am bumping up your post.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
bumping up

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dog Shadow is also very skiddish. He was freaked out by my daughters backpak and barked at it for about 10 minutes. When I put it in the closet, he barked at the closet. Shadow is a rescue, so i still think he is getting used to his surroundings, but I need any suggestions too. Shadow also gets nervous on walks and will only go so far before freezing and then turns around to run home. If you find anything that works please let me know!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts