Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

We are new to the forum, but we have been using the forum a lot as we are trying to add a golden retriever to our home. We are in SoCal, but we are willing to travel to Nor Cal to pick up a puppy.

So far, we have found these three breeders that seem to us are good breeders-

Osprey
Cal Creek
Autumnwind

Can we receive some more input for these breeders? Any info is appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi all-

We are new to the forum, but we have been using the forum a lot as we are trying to add a golden retriever to our home. We are in SoCal, but we are willing to travel to Nor Cal to pick up a puppy.

So far, we have found these three breeders that seem to us are good breeders-

Osprey
Cal Creek
Autumnwind

Can we receive some more input for these breeders? Any info is appreciated.

Thank you!
I used the breeder list referenced above as a starting point for our search for a puppy about a year ago. I would highly recommend you do so, as it was really helpful to me and started me on the road to learning how to go about getting a well-bred puppy. Our Ziggy is now 9 months old, is a great dog, and came from one of the So Cal breeders on this list.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,050 Posts
I used the breeder list referenced above as a starting point for our search for a puppy about a year ago. I would highly recommend you do so, as it was really helpful to me and started me on the road to learning how to go about getting a well-bred puppy. Our Ziggy is now 9 months old, is a great dog, and came from one of the So Cal breeders on this list.
Thank you, as that is my list. But I put it together several years ago, and it has been a couple years since kwhit reposted it, so there are probably several inadequacies on the list by now. It needs to be updated. Unfortunately, the mods won't let me update it so long as I am on the list, which I find silly and kind of insulting, but that means I cannot update it.

Still, I'm happy people still find it useful.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,823 Posts
Thank you, as that is my list. But I put it together several years ago, and it has been a couple years since kwhit reposted it, so there are probably several inadequacies on the list by now. It needs to be updated. Unfortunately, the mods won't let me update it so long as I am on the list, which I find silly and kind of insulting, but that means I cannot update it.

The Breeder lists can be updated as long as they comply with Rule #4.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,050 Posts
The Breeder lists can be updated as long as they comply with Rule #4.
So, just for clarity, do you think including my kennel name in a comprehensive list of ethical SoCal breeders violates Rule 4?

I don't think it does. I've read the rule...

4. GoldenRetrieverForum.com Members are not to engage in spamming or any personal/business advertising without permission. – Unsolicited advertising , junk mail, "spamming," chain letters for self-promotion for monetary gain is not permitted, which may also include links to your sales oriented websites or informational sites that also contain sales or personal/business advertising. This applies not only to the body of a posting but also to member’s signatures, thread titles, images, sounds, PMs, emails through this website, etc. . Links that connect to websites will not be considered unauthorized solicitations unless the link or the website content appears to be intended as a means of personal solicitation/monetary gains of a GRF member as determined by GRF Forum Management Team and/or the VerticalScope Inc. in its sole discretion. Watermarks will be permitted in photographs. Postings for selling, trading or giving away for free of medications (over the counter or prescriptions) as well as any food/treat items will not be permitted. No Member will post advertising for any kind of breeding, stud services, discussions of proposed puppy/dog sales or availability. Members that are breeders shall not post links to their websites. (Breeder links posted by members for only verification purposes is acceptable) Announcements and pictures by a forum member breeder of new litters of puppies are considered the sharing of joyfulness and are permitted. What is not acceptable in these announcements/posts is any discussion of accepting applications, pricing, and other business information (such as web links, e-mail addresses or phone numbers) relevant to their own litters or obvious intention of ‘trolling’ for puppy buyers. The two points to be emphasized with this rule are the unsolicited nature of advertisements and that it is done without prior permission.
So, am I safe to post an updated list?

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Because- for the most part the breeders who spend time on this forum are GOOD breeders who help others daily here. We should not have to leave ourselves off a list we create to further help people find nice puppies in our area.

·
Registered
108 Posts

The version I used as my starting point was actually from your locked thread!

·
Registered
249 Posts
We got our pup from Osprey 3+ years ago, and found Jan and Wendy to be very professional and easy to work with.

I've not heard of CalCreek, but Autumnwind was on our short list of breeders. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Q on Non-Registered Dame

Hi All - I've found this forum so helpful and so wanted to ask a question.

One of the reputable breeders on the longer list for SoCal, just bred a female who is not listed (admittedly so) on K9 and not registered in OFA (she said her husband never got around to doing it, but the dog has all the clearances, except some hiccup on one of the tests that she redid). This is a breeder who is very reputable and I have never heard complaints about, and all the rest of her dogs are registered, have clearances, etc, so no reason to think this would be a bad breeding. The sire of this litter is also registered and has all clearances.

Should I be worried that the dame of this litter is not properly registered in K9/OFA if the breeder's reputation is stellar and the sire is properly registered? She seemed to think this was not a problem since all her other dogs are registered and this is one she just didn't get around to doing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I think you are having some terminology issues.

Registered = a purebred dog and in the US is Registered with AKC
OFA = Is not a registration body. They do house the public verification database (protected entry) for health certifications.
K9Data = is a self entry pedigree and research tool.

No one is required to enter anything on K9Data. Most responsible breeders do because seeing pedigrees and coefficient of inbreeding are very valuable tools.

If the dog is not registered with AKC (in the US or the appropriate registration body for its country of residence), I don’t care what the reputation is, that is not a breeder I would consider at all.

If there are no health certifications on OFA the there is not “clearances” for hips or elbows. If the X-rays have been taken and sent in to OFA at the appropriate age, the only reason they would be missing is because the dog is dysplastic. Eyes and hearts should be sent in because it is 1) cheap to do and 2) guarantees the reports are not fraudulent (not common but does happen).

So, depending on what you mean by “not listed (admittedly so) on K9 and not registered in OFA” it might change the recommendations you receive. I would lean towards no, since your statement seems to indicate no verifiable health certifications.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, LJack! That was very helpful and you are right, I am still learning the terminology, so thanks for helping explain that. With your help, I was able to do more research and found the dog on OFA and AKC, even though it's not on K9 Data and everything looks good.

Much appreciated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts