Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone ever bought C.E.T. VeggieDent Chews? I bought it off Amazon (Amazon.com: C.E.T. VeggieDent Chews, Regular, 30 Chews: Home & Garden) and it arrived a few days ago.

I thought it would be chewy (like Greenies, for example), but instead, as my dog bit down on it, it made a really loud cracking noise, almost like it was a softer bone (like a chicken wing or something). And then when I revisited that page, Amazon had this yellow screen under the product that said some customers had complained about it, but didn't say why. It's no longer there, but that just mad me even more suspicious.

So, I would really appreciate it if anyone who's bought it or had friends who bought it could let me know what your experience of the treat was.

Thanks!

I'm also interested as to what you give your goldens to maintain healthy teeth. I'd stopped giving Greenies a long time ago because I heard it was not digestible, even though she really loved them. Then I'd tried bully stick, but she has this recurring sore on her lip where her tooth always gets caught, preventing it from healing (and we were wrestling with her Cushing's, which weakened her immune system and made it worse), so my vet told me to hold off on stuff where she'd be doing a lot of heavy chewing and irritating the lip area.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
We sell them at the vet's office I work with and they are great. No, they aren't soft, so the name may be misleading, but they do clean teeth very well. My dogs love them.

You could also try the CET chews rawhide with the CET toothpaste on them. Also try brushing the teeth (if you can).
There is also dental flushes that can be used.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've only had them get super hard when I didn't seal the bag, before that they weren't soft exactly, but they were kind of bendy. Maybe the seal on the bag was bad?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I don't know about the Veggie chews but the regular CET chews are coveted treats in this house. Ours are hard but I'm able to cut them with scissors. Our Barkley always wanted to eat them in private, but that's not an option here as I watch them carefully to make sure they chew them properly and don't choke.

Our Toby still isn't happy with tooth brushing, but tolerates us applying a waxy dental product called Ora Vet. Before we used the Ora Vet his teeth were scaled and cleaned under anesthesia and then a sealant was applied to the teeth. Then once a week we take a long swab and put this waxy stuff on his gums and teeth (or we at least try to do it). He likes this waxy stuff and tries to eat it. One of the nurses at our vet suggested I apply the waxy stuff to a CET chew to insure he is getting it on his teeth and gums. He seems to be fine with this. If we could relaibly brush his teeth we would do that instead.

There are dental sprays and drinking water additives, but make sure they don't contain ingredients that I believe are unnecesary (grain alcohol) or downright dangerous (xylitol, which is fatal to dogs).

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'd skip the chews and get the CET aquadent that is a green liquid that you pour into the drinking water, and I'd also feed raw marrow bones to remove tartar.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone ever bought C.E.T. VeggieDent Chews? I bought it off Amazon (
Amazon.com: C.E.T. VeggieDent Chews, Regular, 30 Chews: Home & Garden) and it arrived a few days ago.

I thought it would be chewy (like Greenies, for example), but instead, as my dog bit down on it, it made a really loud cracking noise, almost like it was a softer bone (like a chicken wing or something). And then when I revisited that page, Amazon had this yellow screen under the product that said some customers had complained about it, but didn't say why. It's no longer there, but that just mad me even more suspicious.

So, I would really appreciate it if anyone who's bought it or had friends who bought it could let me know what your experience of the treat was.

Thanks!

I'm also interested as to what you give your goldens to maintain healthy teeth. I'd stopped giving Greenies a long time ago because I heard it was not digestible, even though she really loved them. Then I'd tried bully stick, but she has this recurring sore on her lip where her tooth always gets caught, preventing it from healing (and we were wrestling with her Cushing's, which weakened her immune system and made it worse), so my vet told me to hold off on stuff where she'd be doing a lot of heavy chewing and irritating the lip area.
i personally wouldnt feed it, because it is vegetable based, but if you have success with it, i say keep using ir

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I personally don't care for the C.E.T. toothpaste. I am uncomfortable with the metal tubing it comes in. I'm wondering if it contains lead? It seemed that whenever I took the cap off, inside it was all gray and would get on the toothbrush alongside the toothpaste. Weird.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'd skip the chews and get the CET aquadent that is a green liquid that you pour into the drinking water, and I'd also feed raw marrow bones to remove tartar.
I'd skip the CET aquadent and use something without the toxic and potentially fatal ingredient of xylitol. The ingredient list from the Virbac website:
Virbac Animal Health | C.E.T.

Purified water, Glycerine, Xylitol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium sorbate, Emilgase (enzyme), Zinc gluconate, Sodium benzoate, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Yellow No. 5 and Chlorhexidine gluconate.

My question to Virbac--why would it use such a dangerous ingredient in a product?

From healtypet.com (but google for more results):
Xylitol toxicity in dogs
"The sweetener xylitol is toxic to dogs. It has been known to cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in dogs for years, but recently it has been discovered that it can cause acute liver disease and a coagulopathy (inability to clot the blood). A study found that 0.5g/kg or more of ingested xylitol can cause liver failure."

If one adds it to the dogs drinking water how do you know how much they ingest per day since water consumption varies from day to day?

Anyway, that's too big a gamble for me. I'm not too happy about the artifical food coloring either but that's another story.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'd skip the CET aquadent and use something without the toxic and potentially fatal ingredient of xylitol. The ingredient list from the Virbac website:

Purified water, Glycerine, Xylitol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium sorbate, Emilgase (enzyme), Zinc gluconate, Sodium benzoate, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Yellow No. 5 and Chlorhexidine gluconate.

My question to Virbac--why would it use such a dangerous ingredient in a product?

From healtypet.com (but google for more results):
Xylitol toxicity in dogs
"The sweetener xylitol is toxic to dogs. It has been known to cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in dogs for years, but recently it has been discovered that it can cause acute liver disease and a coagulopathy (inability to clot the blood). A study found that 0.5g/kg or more of ingested xylitol can cause liver failure."

If one adds it to the dogs drinking water how do you know how much they ingest per day since water consumption varies from day to day?

Anyway, that's too big a gamble for me. I'm not too happy about the artifical food coloring either but that's another story.

Yes, I know it has Xylitol in it. If it is mixed with water in correct proportions, you have nothing to be worried about. My vet and I had a long discussion abuot this when I worked there. After some research and phone calls, we agreed that unless you were pouring it willy nilly into drinking water, you were safe.

I also dip Gibbs' finger tooth brush in it and rub his teeth with it instead of toothpaste.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,581 Posts
I use the CET spray twice a day. I use to give my guys the CET Dental Chews but after having to pull one out of my old golden's throat, I stopped buying them.

My two also get Marrow bones weekly and dental sticks daily.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Yes, I know it has Xylitol in it. If it is mixed with water in correct proportions, you have nothing to be worried about. My vet and I had a long discussion abuot this when I worked there. After some research and phone calls, we agreed that unless you were pouring it willy nilly into drinking water, you were safe.

I also dip Gibbs' finger tooth brush in it and rub his teeth with it instead of toothpaste.
That's good that you are very careful about it. I would venture that many (if not most) dog owners might not be aware and might think more is better. I use a pet fountain and precise measuring is impossible.

My biggest complaint is with the manufacturers of this product-Virbac. Why in the heck would they put a potentially toxic ingredient in a product knowing the high likelihood a dog owner might misdose it? There are no warnings on the labels, nothing. I think this is corporate irresponsibility.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I used to feed her Greenies but found out how horrible and indigestible it is, so I stopped that. I then considered rawhide, but found out that was also bad and is a choking hazard. Then I gave her bully sticks, but due to her weakened immune system from Cushing's and this sore that keeps reopening on her lip because her tooth keeps getting caught on it, the vet thought it was better not to give something that entails excessive chewing and irritation for her lips.

So now I'm trying veggiedent and she does chew it, but she doesn't need to gnaw on it like she did with the bully sticks.

Carolina Mom, do you have a product link to the cet spray? I am not sure how it works or what it is, but I am interested.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Here is a product we are now using, measuring carefully, even though the ingredients appear to be totally harmless:

Plaque & Tartar Control - Gallon | Pet Supplies, Horse Supplies, Dog Supplies | KVsupply.com

Here are the ingredients:
The blend of Vitamin B, zinc, colorless beet juice and vegetable glycerin helps dissolve plaque and tartar, clean and whiten teeth and restores gum tissue. Simply add to your pets water dish. An easy and effective addition to your pet’s dental routine. Contains no chemicals or preservatives. No taste or odor.

The beet juice is the sweetening agent they use in lieu of the xylitol or other artificial sweeteners. I'm not sure if it's working just yet--we are also doing the Ora Vet weekly treatments for our dog's teeth and plaque. He had an issue with the sedation used for his last dental so we are trying everything we can to keep the plaque off.

Here is a link for the CET oral spray:
The ingredients for this are:
Chlorhexidine gluconate (0.12%), Cetylpyridinium chloride (0.05%), and Zinc in a soothing alcohol-free vehicle.
Thankfully no xylitol. Our vet carries this spray, but refuses to carry the CET drinking water additive due to the xylitol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts