Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got home from the vet after having a senior panel and check-up done on Buster. Most of the bloodwork came back normal except for his red blood cell count. With some limited googling, Buster just doesn't seem to fit into any of the categories causing low red blood and none of the symptons (his gums are pink, he's not lethargic, and BUN, creatin levels are all in the normal range). I asked if his recent neutering might be the cause and he said only if he lost a lot of blood and the red blood cells should be regenerating at this point. The vet gave him an "erythropoetin injection" to stimulate his bone marrow and wants him re-checked in a week. Does anyone have any thoughts on what we may be dealing with?

Thanks from me and Buster for any help.

(FYI: HCT = 31.7% (normal 37.0-55.0); HGB = 11.0 g/dL (normal 12.0-18.0)).

·
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sure would be nice! If another foster home does not open up in a week, I will be taking him back for follow-up to recheck.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
That sure would be nice! If another foster home does not open up in a week, I will be taking him back for follow-up to recheck.
You never know. I remember my doc not telling me about a test result that came back "off." Rather than get me upset, he retested and everything came back fine. It's been 20 years and I'm still fine.

I hope all turns out well...

·
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Oh - forgot to post that Buster is down from 96 pounds to 92.4 pounds!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I sure hope it is a bad lab test. I've had those from my vet before.

Could whatever they were feeding him at the shelter cause this?

I don't have any good ideas. This is something I have no knowledge of.

Give him a big hug and kiss from me. You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I wonder if it could have been from his neuter. Maybe the shelter might know if he had alittle more blood loss then normal during his neuter. Hopefully on his next test he will be better. Give him a big hug for being so brave thru everything.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Jealous

Jealous

I agree with everyone else-perhaps it was a bad lab test and they should retake it.

Could stress -when buster was in shelter-have caused this.

I would ask the animal hsptl. that neutered him about how much blood was lost during surgery.

You and your Hubby are so wonderful!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
There are all kinds of blood infections that can depress red count without causing massive systemic problems. All the TBDs can do that, as well as Bartonella.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts