Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Posting here maybe to alleviate (or not) my worry. About 2.5-3 weeks ago, I noticed a bump over Felix’s right latissimus Dorsi. This was the same day he broke his Dew claw, so I figured it was an injury from the rough and tumble play.
It hasn’t gone away though. It hasn’t grown either. It’s soft, nontender, nonreducible. Does not feel like a lipoma, doesn’t move. Feels more like a cyst type structure. I procrastinated getting him a primary care vet, and now I have many weeks to wait. 4-6. Thoughts/feelings? Drive somewhere to see a vet with more availability for new patients?

Dog Carnivore Flooring Floor Companion dog

· Lead Super Mod + Administrator
3,405 Posts
If it’s not growing, I wouldn’t worry too much. I noticed Rocket’s MCT probably 2 months before we actually went to the vet. 😬 The appointment had already been scheduled for his annual exam, so I just asked about it then.

I didn’t know it was a MCT at the time, but I kept an eye on it and if it had started growing I would have taken him in sooner. The second bump I had removed turned out to just be a “proliferation of skin cells” and some bacteria. The MCT was subcutaneous and did feel different than the second bump.

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Must be the time to find lumps and bumps. Found one on Winx last night but it's moveable so I'm on watch right now. I agree.... watch it close. If it changes, get him in sooner.

· Registered
14,259 Posts
4-6 weeks to wait for an appt?? Yikes. That would feel like too long to me. Did you ask them if they have a cancellation/wait list?

Reactions: NicoleGold

· Super Moderator
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys. I hope so. It’s not going to be easy to remove if it is a MCT, I’m hoping it’s just damage from being too rough playing

· Kate
24,953 Posts
So.... if you are like me, you will keep looking for that bump with your fingers any time you pet your dog. You will be checking to see if it has grown or changed. And you will keep worrying.

For that reason, I would just skip the worry and get it checked. I'm not sure what it would cost today or where you are, but it used to be $45 for an appointment + $90 to poke and check under a microscope.

Odds are likely that it's just a cyst. Some lines get extra warty and then there's clogged oil pores or whatnot.

Keep an eye on the toenail - my Jacks did develop a fungal infection/growth where he broke a nail.

· Super Moderator
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! You’re right, I feel it every time I pet him now and work myself up. I will call around and see if someone can’t work something out for me 🫠

For his toe, I took him to urgent care and he ended up with an infection 3 days later, so back to urgent care. The nail is ugly now but no more infection and it’s growing back.

They let me keep it :D!

Fluid Liquid Finger Thumb Nail

· Registered
40 Posts
I noticed a lump that seemingly grew overnight on my 8 month old puppy last week as well. It definitely feels like a fluid filled cyst, about the size of a large marble, on her side, just behind and above where her front leg attaches. The skin is unaffected and it doesn't bother her when I press on it. Her behavior is 100% normal, eating and drinking and playing. I first noticed it the day after she had a long session of running/rolling around with some doggy friends of hers. I have a vet appointment on Wednesday, but any bumps are unnerving!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts