Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all my name is Kyle,

First post and new to this forum! I have a 6 (almost 7) year old Golden named Molly. And she has developed this small bump that hasn't gone away in over a month. Pics will be hard to show, about the size of a pea. But, took her to the vet last week and she didnt think it was much (might be too small to show up on an xray) it's quite hard too and feels above her bone. Any ideas on what it could be? Just seeing if you all have any suggestions, thanks in advance! 馃檪

Side note: she has an appointment for dental cleaning next month so I'm going to have them x-ray her to see if they see anything abnormal.

***pics attached***

Attachments

Golden Ret Enthusiast
Could be an insect bite like spider or it could also be a tick bite. I was also thinking of a fatty deposit but you said it's hard and fatty deposits are usually soft and more like a floating mass and not stuck in one place.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Maggied Voice I was thinking that at first but wouldn't a bite have gone away after a month? Its maybe even been a month and a half by now. I dont think it has gotten bigger but it definitely hadn't got smaller.

Golden Ret Enthusiast
I had a tick bite that left a pea sized lump on my side just about 3 inches above my waist that took about 2.5 months to fully go away. This was about 4 years ago. I would think it would go away as well but sometimes they can linger.

Premium Member
If your vet did not take a lump seriously, get a second opinion. Goldens are too prone to cancer to ignore that. Did the vet even put a needle in it to pull cells and look at it under the microscope?

Registered
My boy had a bump in the same place. Vet said it wasn't anything to worry about. It took a while but it did go away. He went through a small rebellious period when it went away and I joked that it was his brain. He was much younger, between 18 months and 2 years old I think. If I really search for it, I can still find where it was.

Registered
So, my vet's logic to not aspirating it was due to where it was. Imagine someone coming at you with a needle right between your eyes and you don't understand why. They would end up getting stuck more than the bump. We watched it close and if it showed any change like getting larger or changing colors, they would aspirate under anesthesia.

Sometimes, a bump is just a bump.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone thank you for the repliesml. We set up an appointment for next week so I will be sure to keep you all updated. The vet offered me to drop her off but I dont want her getting caught up in the days appointments and not getting thoroughly looked at. So, I am taking her in for a one on one check up so I can ask the questions. Any other help or advice you have is greatly appreciated. Shes my little angel, she keeps me going every day as I'm sure you all can relate to all too well. Shes not just a dog to me, shes my little girl. Just got out of a bad relationship so shes all I got so prayers are MUCH appreciated. 馃檪 like I said I'll let you all know how the appointment goes.

Registered
Would be easy enough to just come over his head from behind and would never see it coming till it was done.

He's a very alert, active dog. Not much gets by him. Especially someone trying to sneak up behind him. So your plan wouldn't work. Fact is, it was nothing and it's gone now. I trust my vet enough to follow her directions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts