Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! We're 3 weeks in to Deacon's 8 week recovery from TPO. We've been pretty successful so far in keeping him calm and inactive by playing floor games and by using treat filled kongs and bully sticks. I was wondering if it is safe/ok for him to have a small bully stick daily? If not, what is a good rule of thumb? Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem except that they are pretty high in calories(about 29 calories per inch.) Good luck with the recovery process.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
i guess it depends on how he handles them. our girls get them once in a while (once every month or so) but I'm sure to adjust their meals if they get a "big treat"

instead why not give him a big carrot to gnaw on, or put his regular kibble in a pop bottle (with some small holes in it) that he has to work at to get the treat? our girls also love to chew on apples, that keeps them busy for quite a while.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOVE the carrot idea! The vet recommended cutting his kibble to about 2/3 the regular amount since he isn't being active and is getting more big treats to get him through the evening. Raw bones have been working well too and keep him busy. Thanks again!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
A good bullystick sure does wonders for a dog's spirit :)

When Daisy had her first ACL surgery, I could only find one bully stick at the grocery store. I took it to Customer Service and asked them to check in back to see if they had more. The clerk took what I had and went back to check .... and then came back with NOTHING. No more in back and he'd lost the one I gave him!!! I was so MAD. They must have thought I was nuts LOL

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
carrots taste better frozen!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Careful with the braided bully sticks. Wallace gobbles them down...12 inch size and unbraids the last couple of inches into thin strands. Then he tries to suck them down and begins to choke. Just keep an eye out.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Definitely. I never give Daisy a chew treat unless I'm right here to watch her. That goes for any kind of chew treat.
I also only give them chew treats, when I can watch them.

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
LOVE the carrot idea! The vet recommended cutting his kibble to about 2/3 the regular amount since he isn't being active and is getting more big treats to get him through the evening. Raw bones have been working well too and keep him busy. Thanks again!
My Tango had bilateral elbow surgery and went from 52lbs to 60 lbs in 6 weeks of confinement. I wasnt smart enough to think of cutting her food, plus all the bully sticks, kongs, and marrow bones to keep her busy. Luckily, being returned to active duty has slowly reversed the process, and she's back to 55lbs(she's 9 months). I feel for you and Deacon, because it's no fun for you or him.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for the responses! Thankfully, Deacon has been a great little patient so far and for the most part, has tolerated the restrictions. We go for xrays in one more week and I think at that point we may be able to look at taking him for short walks and getting him into some hydrotherapy so we're keeping our fingers crossed. It has been a VERY long 3 weeks...and we're anxious to see the results of those first xrays to be assured everything is healing well!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Careful with the braided bully sticks. Wallace gobbles them down...12 inch size and unbraids the last couple of inches into thin strands. Then he tries to suck them down and begins to choke. Just keep an eye out.
We tried one of the braided bully sticks with Deacon and I was shocked at how quickly he unraveled the 3 threads!! It made me so nervous when he had 3 really skinny threads that I haven't given him any more of those! There is a great petstore close to where we live...I call it the Doggie Whole Foods...that has these 3 ft long bully sticks that we can cut into more manageable sized pieces. Seems to be the best value and helps us moderate how much he gets!

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Good luck with you recovery! Sounds like so far so good.

You can also buy rubber treat dispensing toys and fill them with kibble. My dogs LOVE them. We have all sorts of them from different stores, vendors at shows and buying online: Check out JB Pet Online

1 - 13 of 13 Posts