Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some reading and decided to switch foods to Buffalo Blue Puppy formula. Unfortunately Buddy has had diarrhea for three days now. It started about three days after I switched. I've been mixing it with Eukanuba. Think I'm going back to Eukanuba. He was doing much better with that. I'll feed my setter the rest of the Blue Buffalo. He's got an iron gut and has had no issues. Oh well it was worth a try. I can't see staying with Blue Buffalo. Im sure it is great food just doesnt seem to work for Buddy

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I did some reading and decided to switch foods to Buffalo Blue Puppy formula. Unfortunately Buddy has had diarrhea for three days now. It started about three days after I switched. I've been mixing it with Eukanuba. Think I'm going back to Eukanuba. He was doing much better with that. I'll feed my setter the rest of the Blue Buffalo. He's got an iron gut and has had no issues. Oh well it was worth a try. I can't see staying with Blue Buffalo. Im sure it is great food just doesnt seem to work for Buddy
Switching the food has to be very gradual. Are you feeding nuggets or can?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think sometimes the higher quality foods are too rich for some puppies (and dogs). Both Hunter and Jackson have had problems with Blue Buffalo and Wellness. I switched Jackson off of Wellness LBP to PPP Selects because of diarrhea and the change did the trick. Maybe when your puppy is older you can try the switch again? That's what I plan on doing with Jackson (when he transitions to adult food).

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I agree it can be too rich; I am not a big fan of blue buffalo anyway, but why are you switching? Eukanuba is a fine food. Is he having issues on it? Why switch if your pup is doing fine on a food?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Many dogs may need 7 - 10 days of transitioning to a new food by using the following ratio of a few days each of feeding old food to new food: 75/25, 50/50; 25/75.

Also, many people forget to read about how many calories (kcal/cup) the new food has compared to the old food. If the new food is more calorically dense, you may be feeding too much. Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken has 452 kcal/cup while Eukanuba Puppy Growth has 417 kcal/cup and Eukanuba Lg Breed Puppy has 361 kcal/cup. So, overfeeding may be an issue here which can cause diarrhea.

All that said, I do frequently hear people mention soft stools with their dogs eating Blue Buffalo.

If there are reasons you would like to try something besides Eukanuba (such as formulas that may have more meat-based protein) there are certainly a number of simpler formulas to try with your dog than Blue Buffalo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't like the fact that the second ingredient in Eukanuba is corn. That's why I wanted to switch. Maybe I gave up on Blue a little quick but I felt bad for Buddy. I was going to have to rename him squirts. I did cut the food in half. I didn't feel like the squirts were good for him

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Lucky could not tolerate Blue Buffalo even with his iron belly. It was too rich for him I guess. I would feed what your puppy does best on as long as it is a premium dog food.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
I wont feed anything in Corn in it. Mine does horrible on high quality diets like Orijen, Blue Buffalo, Acana etc. I put him on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula (has no corn or wheat) and he did wonderful on it. Had I not of found this forum I never would of read the great reviews on the food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts