Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
I thought protein sources (beef, chicken) were the most common food alergies. That's why the lamb diets used to be mainly for dogs with food algeries (to switch to a novel protien source).

If dogs cant digest wheat and corn (which I don't personally believe), would it be possible for them to develop allergies to them? Just wondering.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Two of mine here within the last week or two done the same thing, chewing on their butt feathers and tail, come to find out we had a flea, that's all I found was one flea. Never knew one flea can do that much damage, my two are allergic to flea bites, they are much better now and all healed.

Yes their tails and butt feathers look a little chewed up and ugly ( I trimmed them a little).

The Crew been on Purina One for a few years and I never had a problem with allergies except when a flea comes in the picture!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just wanted to add something about not being able to digest corn.. humans can't digest it either as it normally comes out whole after you eat it. Any dog I've had has always loved to eat corn with us on its food..

Also, my dog is not allergic to wheat as he has none of those symptoms.

I have since bought bitter apple spray and sprayed in on Buddy's backside and legs and he has not touched them since..

I tried buying him some new toys but he chewed them all up (even ones that are supposedly for strong chewers)

My next chore will be finding him food he actually likes to eat.. He seems to get bored way too quickly. When we first make a switch he eats happily for about a week and cleans his bowl and then he starts leaving about 1/4 of what we fed him in his dish. I don't get it. :confused:

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,536 Posts
I just wanted to add something about not being able to digest corn.. humans can't digest it either as it normally comes out whole after you eat it. Any dog I've had has always loved to eat corn with us on its food..

Also, my dog is not allergic to wheat as he has none of those symptoms.

I have since bought bitter apple spray and sprayed in on Buddy's backside and legs and he has not touched them since..

I tried buying him some new toys but he chewed them all up (even ones that are supposedly for strong chewers)

My next chore will be finding him food he actually likes to eat.. He seems to get bored way too quickly. When we first make a switch he eats happily for about a week and cleans his bowl and then he starts leaving about 1/4 of what we fed him in his dish. I don't get it. :confused:
A number of goldens can destroy standard dog toys in minutes. Try the more robust objects like femur bones, buster cubes and the like. With the intense chewers, exercise helps tremendously to take the edge off.

Your pup is entering the terrible teens stage, so he's easily frustrated with little things that he never used to notice up until now.

He may be leaving the extra kibble in the bowl because he isn't hungry. It's normal for a pups food intake requirements to fluctuate with their growth patterns. At nine months, he's probably completed his last major growth spurt, so his needs may have tapered off a bit at this point.

If he's hungry, he'll eat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I figure he is just not that hungry anymore.. when he was a little guy he used to wolf his food down. Now he eats slowly and never finishes the whole bowl. We feed him about 1 3/4 cups of food a day and he usually leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 of his food in his dish so he is probably getting less than 3 cups of food a day.

He was at the vet a couple weeks ago for a shot and got a quick exam and they didn't say he looked sickly or anything and otherwise he is acting normal. I guess he's just being a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Brooks has always kept the hair trimmed at the back top of his legs. It started soon after it first grew in and looked so long and beautiful. I guess he thought it made him look like a girly-man, so now he keeps it looking manly rugged!!! I have given up worrying about it (he never chews it to the skin, just keeps it raggedly about 3-4 inches long)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think anyone has said this but go to the vet and have the anal glads checked. If there is no skin or other issues most likely that is it if it is the back feathering or base of the tail. Hopefully it is as that is an easy solution. Could be allergies or boredom as others said but it is worth a quick check.

Christina
www.heritagegoldens.com

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Any dog I've ever had that needed anal glands cleaned has rubbed their butt on the floor.. He chewed up mostly the tip of his tap and whatever he did to his butt was only on the left side as well as his left leg.. :confused:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update:

Buddy went to the bed and had his glands cleaned but they didn't seem to think that was his issue.

Vet said Buddy was likely bored OR was not happy about being in his crate. I doubt that it's the latter since he puts himself in his crate before we even let him know we're leaving..

21 - 30 of 30 Posts