Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Its a worried Chinese new year for me. I didnt know Buddy was infected with Moist Eczema. I tot he was bitten by an insect then he scratch till a big big wound.

He literally lost his mood when relatives visited us at home.So I called up the Vet and thank god they are open on public holiday. The moment doctor told me is the Moist Eczema, i felt so much better.

I just want to know, whoever had experience this sickness on their Goldie before, can you let me know, how long usually it takes to heal up his wound and when I can release his Cone?. Its kinda hard for him to drink and eat while the cone tied up on his neck.

Click the link below to view the picture of buddy's wound
MyPinkGarage: Moist Eczema

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
moist eczema, acute moist pyoderma, moist dermatitis, hotspots....
you can use the forum's "Search" feature and find a lot of info ...

They are common to double coated breeds....

I looked at your pictures...OUCH ...that looks like it is VERY painful.

Is the cone rubbing the wound? If not, and if the cone is keeping him from scratching at the wound then LEAVE IT ON!

It will heal....but it can take quiet a while...best of luck.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Maggie (RIP) got hotspots frequently especially during a warm, wet spring before she shed out her winter coat.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Did the vet give you some medication to help it heal? Here, many use the brown Listerine and Gold Bond powder. Our vet gave Maggie gentimicin spray. Glad you took him in as they can spread so quickly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, our Cory had a couple of them. She got antibiotics and prednisone for them when they were bad. Leave the cone on until he doesn't want to scratch it anymore.

I learned about the gold bond powder here on this forum. It really worked to stop hot spots when I caught them early.

I hope Buddy feels better soon, and you too. Such a worry, isn't it?

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
Ugh. Hot spots can be awful. So sorry you're dealing with this - especially on your New Year. The good part is that it is very treatable. Hopefully your vet gave you an antibacterial soap or treatment.

Can you try taking off the cone for your dog's meals and then put it back on?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the feedback...
The vet cleaned up his wound and provide us the dream and antibiotic...hopefully he is fine~~

He is kinda emotional right now as the vet shaved his fur...didnt know their fur is so important to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts