Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Owned by Buddy and Lady
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has been great advise for trying to get Buddy and Lady to loose the extra lbs. After weighing them couple of weeks ago at our vets, the vet said to use the science diet lite. My wife felt that is what we pay her for so lets use it at least until they get the weight off so we bought a big bag. We measured with a standard measuring cup to make sure we were using the appropriate amount. We also made sure they weren't getting excessive treats. (they get 12 calories of treats per day)

Yesterdays weigh in (Drum roll)
Buddy - 89 Lbs down 2 lbs
Lady - 94 Up two lbs........
Net weight loss.............0

Both of them acted like they were starving on this stuff. Buddy started getting in the trash, a behavior he had stopped. My current feeling about this stuff is GIGO, and oh my GO.
So after much deliberation we have decided to change strategy and go Wellness Core Reduced Fat.
One last note at the Dr. office yesterday the vet tech couldn't believe it and suggested the "10 Kibble Diet". The dog's only get 10 kibbles in the morning and 10 at night. I keep you posted on progress and no we are not using the 10 kibble diet.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Wellness Core Red Fat is a great food and many of us have used it for weight reduction. I would NEVER feed a Science Diet product. Even when trying to lose weight, dogs need a meat based diet. Many have had success when the 10 cals/pound. If your dogs ideal weight is, say, 75 lbs, then they would get 750 calories/day. Just as with humans, some dogs have a more active metabolism than others. Also like humans, a gradual weight loss is more healthy and the best way to achieve that is to cut calories and up exercise. The 10 kibbles theory is scary to me..... that's more like a starvation diet and certainly no more healthy for a dog than for a person.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
One last note at the Dr. office yesterday the vet tech couldn't believe it and suggested the "10 Kibble Diet". The dog's only get 10 kibbles in the morning and 10 at night. I keep you posted on progress and no we are not using the 10 kibble diet.

Oh my gosh I can't believe any vet is actually advocating something like this! That sounds completely unhealthy even if a dog is severely overweight.

I agree with P&M's Mom above.. I know many here have had great success getting dogs to lose weight with the 10cal/pound (for wanted ideal weight, not current overweight weight) method.

·
Owned by Buddy and Lady
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are currently working on 75lbs for both at this time. We were feeding between 750 and 800 calories a day. We currently are looking at 2 cups of Wellness for a total of 700 with the normal couple of treats of wellness that are either 4 or 6 calories. We recently picked up some low sodium green beans and may add that if they need additional volume.
I couldn't believe they would even recommend the 10 kibble idea, and I must say it wasn't my vet but a reception/tech that mentioned it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts