Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else ever had problems with their goldens not wanting to be brushed? Everytime I try to brush her she just doesn't let me. I realize she's playing and wants to run around with it so I got another brush. I was hoping that would work but it turns out she wants the brush that I'm trying to use on her and doesn't care about the one I put in front of her.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie was like that when he was a pup. I gave him a few swipes of the brush a couple of times a day and gave him a small treat every time I brushed him. Eventually he started to come running as soon as he saw me take out the brush. It helped to do it after exercise or right before bed because he was less energetic.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
How old are we talking? If you have a puppy you just need to be patient doing a little at a time and giving him a treat to distract him.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's two, and I'm probably just doing this at the wrong time of day. I'm wanting to brush her and she's wanting to play. It would probably be best to play for awhile and get her a little bit tired before going to the brushing.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You can do several things. One is to start brushing her while she is sleeping to get her used to it more. Also you can put a little peanut butter on the floor or someplace where you are brushing her. The peanut butter will help to keep her focused.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
You can also put the PB on the fridge at head height so the dog is inclined to stand and work on it while you brush. Just a cheap trick, but it works.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My first golden, my boy Jake, was just like that--the worst. I don't think I could brush him for any length of time until he was maybe 4, 5 years old?

I used BeauShel's trick, with some results; Jake was the type of dog that slept with his ears up and one eye open. . .so I would have to start on one small section and work my way to a larger and larger area. I also used different types of brushes. Slicker--he hated. I was told by a couple of show groomers that brushes that have rounded bristles at the end are tough on the coat; what worked best for me was a rather expensive brush, from Chris Christensen.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
You can also put the PB on the fridge at head height so the dog is inclined to stand and work on it while you brush. Just a cheap trick, but it works.
My favorite distraction...although we have graduated (on the garage fridge) to freeze dried liver taped under a piece or two of duct tape for trimming Loo's nails:doh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts