Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come My baby girls teeth are very yellow?! I brush them once a day with the C.E.T. Enzymatic toothpaste. I also use a tartar scraper every now and then (I don't know how good it is to use a lot). Is it her food? Is the toothpaste not very good? How else can I keep them clean?! What are some really good toothpastes? Thanks :)

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Not sure how old your dog is, but we give Max one Paragon Whimzee Dental Treat each week. Seems to keep his teeth clean. Better than the toothpaste, at least for Max.

·
Sheila 91-99; Haley 01-12
1,301 Posts
Bully sticks help to keep my pup's teeth clean. I can really tell the difference when he hasn't been getting them. But I would look at your girl's diet. Summit's teeth are already white; we do brush them, but brushing doesn't make them white. Summit eats Orijen and some deboned sardines.

We've been using Nylabone Tartar Control Toothpaste, but I just noticed that it contains Titanium dioxide, so I think we'll look for something else.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Our veterinarian said that a lot of tartar in dogs comes from dry mouth, just like in humans. The makers of the human Biotene products (for dry mouth) are making similar natural products for dogs now under the name Oratene. I got a sample pack from her and tried it in a gel (like a toothpaste, but not technically a paste so we still brush with CET), drinking water additive and a spray. I use all 3, though the drinking water additive is an issue when you use a water system with a big tank of water. The additive causes stuff to grow in the water (probably from the aloe vera?) if you don't change the water frequently.

We brush about 4 times a week and I do believe in dental cleanings every 2 to 3 years to get the xrays and determine if there is stuff going on at the gum level that isn't detected by my eyes.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
parisGreenDay

I would ask your vet about her teeth. It could be that her teeth are just a different color. I know in humans, some people have whiter teeth than others normally, not because they had them lightened.

I googled and here is one thing I found:

Stained, Discolored Teeth in Dogs | petMD
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/mouth/c_dg_discolored_teeth

The normal color of teeth varies, dependent on the shade, thickness and translucency of the enamel covering the tooth. ... Your veterinarian will need to x-ray your dog's teeth in order to identify ... Do Adult Dogs Have Different Health Needs.

Reactions: parisGreenDay

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your dog gets some raw meaty bones in their diet, generally their teeth will be amazing!
I have heard that! I just worry about the whole RAW thing:(, do you freeze it for a coule days to kill parasites and stuff? I have been wanting I try this, I'm jusy so worried about that! :)

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
I have heard that! I just worry about the whole RAW thing:(, do you freeze it for a coule days to kill parasites and stuff? I have been wanting I try this, I'm jusy so worried about that! :)
Dogs digestive system is not the same as ours, it is much more acidic and is designed to digest raw bones and deal with any parasites (shouldn't be any in human grade meat). Of course cooked bones are another matter and are very dangerous for dogs. Harley has a raw chicken leg every morning for breakfast. Takes him about 20 seconds to eat it!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I never use a toothpaste, and both dogs have great teeth. They have raw chicken wings about 4 times a week and I also give them a huge meaty bone every couple of weeks as well. This cleans their teeth naturally without any fuss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts