Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
-Sam from California
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR KIND WORDS, ENCOURAGEMENT & WELL WISHES. HERE'S AN UPDATE.

AFTER THE ULTRA SOUND, BLOOD TEST & X-RAY IT WAS CONFIRMED THAT BRUCE HAD CANCER IN HIS SPLEEN. FROM THE X-RAYS THEY COULD SEE THAT IT WASN'T BLEEDING & THE REST OF HIS ORGANS WERE IN GOOD HEALTH, SO THEY SAID HE WAS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR SUGERY. THE SURGEON WAS OFF THAT DAY, BUT MADE A SPECIAL TRIP TO DO BRUCES SURGERY WHICH WAS SUPPOSE TO BE NEXT WEEK. I'M THANKFUL FOR THAT, & AS OF NOW, BRUCE IS RIGHT NEXT TO ME RESTING. ALTHOUGH IT DIDN'T SHOW ON THE X-RAY WHEN THE DOCTOR WAS OPERATING, HE SAW THAT THE CANCER HAS STARTED ON HIS LIVER. THIS PROGNOSIS HAS DEVASTATED ME BECAUSE I KNOW HIS TIME IS LIMITED.

THE DOCTOR SAID, "How long he'll be around, you can't predict but don't feel guilty knowing at least you gave him another chance and you tried everything."

FROM HERE, I'M TRYING TO EXPECT THE WORST BUT HOPE FOR THE BEST. HE'LL LET ME KNOW WHEN IT'S TIME. SPLENECTOMY'S CAN PROLONG THEIR LIFE DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF CANCER & HOW FAST IT SPREADS. MY GOAL IS TO KEEP HIM AS COMFORTABLE FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE & TRY TO START THE GRIEVING PROCESS.

IT'S HARD TO IMAGINE THE HOUSE EMPTY, WITH HIS TOYS ALL AROUND. IMAGINING WAKING UP TO NO ONE NUZZLING HIS WAY ONTO THE BED OR TAPPING HIS HAPPY FEET WHEN WE GET UP. IT'S HARD TO THINK OF THE DAY WHEN I'LL SEE SOMETHING THAT REMINDS ME OF HIM. IT'S HARD TO THINK OF LOOKING IN THE BACK SEAT OF THE CAR & HIM NOT STICKING HIS FACE OUT OF THE WINDOW. ALL OF THIS IS SO HARD FOR ME, BUT I'M GONNA TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME.

MY HEART IS HURTING WHEN I LOOK AT HIM, SLEEPING PEACEFULLY. I IMAGINE HIS FATE IN DUE TIME & I HAVE TO TURN AWAY, AS TEARS START TO FALL. I'M TRYING TO BE STRONG FOR HIM. THAT'S MY BOY.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
So sorry you're going through this.

It's a blow because it's so new. If possible try not to project too much. Live in the now and enjoy every day with Bruce. He can sense your emotions. Cuddle him, brush him, talk to him, take him for walks and do the stuff that makes him happy when he mends from his surgery. Let him know how happy you are he's there every day. Explore your options in fighting the cancer and/or making his days as comfortable as possible. We've been in your shoes and are again now.

Take it a day at a time.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why they call it 'the present' "

- M. Scott Peck "The Road Less Traveled"

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and Bruce. But just remember, he doesn't know what's going on...he wakes up every day like it's the best day of his life. Dogs don't fear death like we do. They live in the moment.

Enjoy every minute you have with him, take lots of pictures and spoil that boy rotten! We're here to listen and to be your shoulder to cry on. :eek:

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm very sorry for Bruce and you. Having gone down this road twice I can certainly empathize with all you are feeling right now. Like the others said, be sure to live in the present, try to stay positive when around him (cry in the shower) because he will pick up on your emotions and you don't want him to be sad for you, and be sure to spend good quality time with him. My husband and I put cameras in strategic places around the house and took photos as often as we could. Those photos are precious to us today.

If the pathology comes back as hemangiosarcoma, think about acquiring some Yunan Baiyao (sometimes called Yunan Paiyao), a Chinese herb that has properties to stop bleeding episodes. It was used by the Viet Cong in the field during the Vietnam War. Many of us have used it with some success for little bleeding episodes. There are some threads on it in the cancer section here if you do a search. I believe CSU is doing a study on it now.

We also added a B vitamin syrup (Pet-Tinic) our vet recommended to help maintain his blood counts and hematocrit level. You can get that at many veterinarian offices or online. It's pretty sweet (HFCS) but I put it on his food and he literally licked his bowl clean.

I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly my Barkley recovered from his splenectomy--he challenged me with wanting to do more than he should.

Wishing you many good quality days with your boy.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Susan

Susan

I am so very sorry about Bruce. Hug him, kiss him, tell him how much you love him and let him eat everything he loves and take pictures of him.
We lost our Male Samoyed, named Snobear in March 2010, to what Bruce has.
My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I am so sorry about Bruce's diagnosis.
I second what Dallas Gold said about the yunnan baiyao. An integrative vet here told me they have been able to maintain hemangiosarcoma dogs for relatively long periods of time by giving yunnan.
My boy, too, had a splenectomy although his mass turned out to be benign. But he bounced back really quickly, and within a couple weeks was totally back to normal.
Best wishes for you and Bruce.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and Bruce. But just remember, he doesn't know what's going on...he wakes up every day like it's the best day of his life. Dogs don't fear death like we do. They live in the moment.

Enjoy every minute you have with him, take lots of pictures and spoil that boy rotten! We're here to listen and to be your shoulder to cry on. :eek:

SO SO true. Do your best to live in the moment with him... enjoy life like he does and spend this precious time making new memories. There will be plenty of time to mourn when he has actually gone ahead. Also, please remember that he'll pick up on your emotions so try to not let him see that..... go into the shower or wherever you can be alone. And know that we'll be here to give you support as you help Bruce on his final chapter.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I'm so sorry you and Bruce are going down this horrible road. I'm hoping, as is everyone, that you have a lot of quality months left with each other.

Please don't start the grieving yet. There will be plenty of time later. Right now, love on him, play with him, spoil him...just the same as you did before you got this devastating diagnosis. Don't spoil the time you have left with each other.

Sending hugs and prayers and lighting a candle for Bruce. :smooch:

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of Bruce's diagnosis.

My Reno had a splenectomy last June and days later was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma. The vet told us he would only have 1-2 months left with no treatment and 4-6 months with treatment. We opted for no treatment.

On Friday, January 13, it will be 7 months since Reno's splenectomy. He is still full of life and enjoying every minute of it. He continues to take Metacam daily.

As the others have said....love and spoil Bruce and cherish each and every day with him!!!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'm sorry to read about Bruce's diagnosis. Cancer is such a terrible thing, and it's never easy to come to grips with it. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm so very sorry for the tragic diagnosis. Sending thoughts that Bruce defies the odds and has more time that is free of pain

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this. I am holding a good thought for you. We can't know the future, though. Sometimes we get more time with them than we expect. Hope that's true for you.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
So very sorry about Bruce's diagnosis. I know how hard it is to not project and start grieving but please try to live in the moment as he is. He might have a many wonderful days yet , like Reno! We only had seven weeks with our Selka but we cherished every one. God bless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts