Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
-Sam from California
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day before yesterday, on a normal routine night walk for Bruce, he was vicously attacked in the dark by a loose pitpull when he was sniffing some bushes. It was quiet outside but out of nowhere a putbull lunged & went straight for Bruces throat & when Bruce was defending himself, putting his behind in front to separate himself from the dog, the pit bit him on his butt & tail leaving puncture wounds. Hitting the other dog with the leash trying to get him off bruce, it wasn't until the owners came that he stopped. I got home & checked for his chest to see if the dog had gotten him in the neck or throat area, luckily Bruces thick mane protected him & he was only left with saliva instead of blood. They said a visitor left the door open & he got out but agreed to pay for the vet bill. Now,I have never been in a situation like this because my neighborhood is very nice & peaceful with many dog owners. But even though they paid with a check dated for january 1st I can't help but still feel like I should do more. I don't want to cause trouble since they live around the neighborhood so I am stumped.

after the vet visit, they said to give him antibiotics & keep the wound clean, but I am unsure of the home remedies to use for him. I need ideas, please help. ANY & ALL OPINIONS ARE HUMBLY WELCOME. Thanks

p.s. Although Bruce was a little shaken up the day after, refusing to leave my room to go potty, I feel like a bad mother. I bring pepper spray so this won't happen again. Poor Bruce had to be an example of it. =(

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
So sorry to hear about Bruce--I would normally follow your vets advice about the antibiotics, keeping the wound clean, etc. I don't know too much about using homeopathic remedies--although we do use hydrogen peroxide on wounds...

What's up with a check dated 1/1/10??????? If they were sincere, they'd give you a valid check for part of the vet bill NOW. And I'd file a police report since it at least will be on record of what happened.

Good luck with Bruce--sorry you had to experience this!

SJ

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
So sorry this happened to you and to Bruce. I hope he heals up nicely and isn't afraid to walk in the future. These things are so scary and just reading about your horrible experience made my heart rate increase.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Did they offer proof of vaccination?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
These things are so scary and just reading about your horrible experience made my heart rate increase.
Mine too! How scary.

I'd probably ask other dog owners in your neighbourhood if this has happened to them with this particular dog.
My best to Bruce and hope that he recovers very quickly.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Report the owners to animal control - that's what you do. You shouldn't have to live in fear that this dog will be out another day or that he'll attack another innocent dog. How horrible for you and Bruce and I've gathered what a pacifist Bruce is!! You were brave to step in for your dog at great risk to yourself. I hope that Bruce isn't mentally scarred from this experience. :(

EDITTED TO ADD I know there are people on this forum who stand up for pitbulls and say that there is no higher occurance of pit bull bites than any other but this is another case in point. Another pit bull attack story. I can't remember the last time I've heard about a dog attack that was NOT pit bull related. I know I fear walking my Max because of some pit bulls in town. I wish they were outlawed in my town. :(

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Poor Bruce!
Be sure to get a shot record from them. Other than that, just keep the wound clean and put a bit of neosporin on it. Dogs are pretty tough and I'm sure he'll heal up just fine.
I also agree the dog should be reported to animal control, or at least call and find out what their policy is about recording bites.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm going through something similar with our neighbor's pitbull. Here is my thread...

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=69147

When the pit attacked Maggie there was no injury. The owner and myself were right there but it's amazing how those pits always seem to go for the throat. This happened about 3 years ago. We now have another golden and a 4.5 y.o. child living here and the problem continues as the pit is still allowed to run free. The police are now involved.

I don't want to hijack your thread though, so you can read the many replies and experiences in the thread if you're interested.

Very scary, as someone said up thread, my heart is racing as I read about this. I'm glad Bruce is alright. I'd make sure the pit is up-to-date on vax.
Puncture wounds can be tricky so I'd give a round of antibiotics. My cat got in a fight once and ended up with an abscess.

I'd also be pretty mad about the post dated check, your Bruce needs to see a vet now and YOU are out the money until after the first of the year?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would report the dog to animal control and also ask for proof of vaccinations. Why did the people give you a post dated check? Thank goodness Bruce is ok for the most part and hopefully he wont have any fear from this for other dogs and walks. I do also like the idea of talking with other neighbors and asking if they have had any incidents with this neighbor's dog.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I too would be concerned about the postdated check and the vaccinations. Animal Control should be able to tell you when you report the attack if the dog is vaccinated.
Poor Bruce!!!! How awful to have something like that happen!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Poor Bruce. This makes me LIVID!!!! Our city has such a problem with loose dogs... esp pitties and pit mixes. You've gotten good advice as far as documenting proof of vax and reporting it to the AC. I now walk with a 3 iron and would have no qualms using it if another dog went after my crew.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Once again, pit bulls are known to be dog aggressive. This is how they were bred, this is how they remain. They are NOT bred to be human aggressive. Someone who owns a pit bull should be extra careful about keeping them in their sites all the time. But, also, many so called "pit bull" attacks, aren't even pit bulls. People see blocky headed, short haired dogs and immediately think "pit bull!", when it reality many of the dogs are boxers, bulldogs, staffies, even labs. A coworker of mine kept complaininng of a stray pitt bull roaming her neighborhood. She was afraid it was going to eat her children. She took some pictures of it and showed me. The dog she was talking about couldn't have been further from a pit bull if it tried. Didn't even look like a bully mix of anything. More like a shepherd/lab something. After I told her this, and pulled up pictures of a real pit bull, she was fine with the stray dog roaming her neighborhood. When in all reality, the stray dog could be just as aggressive as she thought a pittie could be, but since it wasn't, she was no longer concerned. Pretty dumb if you ask me.
The owner should definitely pay all the vet bills, and it should be reported. Was the other dog UTD?
Sorry, I get defensive because my best friend has a full blooded pittie who is a love. He lives with 2 other dogs and 5 cats, and is the lowest animal on the totem poll in that house, including the cats. I

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just so you're aware, pepper spray will not stop a goal oriented dog. If that pitbull wants to attack Bruce again, the spray will not stop it. I know things are different here in Canada, but I"m sure that animal control should be notified of this incident. They would know if there is a pattern of aggression with this dog and if formal intervention is needed.

Good luck

L.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your Bruce being attacked. We had aggressive pit-bulls in our neighborhood several years ago and lost our beloved Dexter to their attack; they came over our fence. I hope he heals well. I do suggest you call animal control to report the bites.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Once again, pit bulls are known to be dog aggressive. This is how they were bred, this is how they remain. They are NOT bred to be human aggressive. I
Where this may have been true in the past, I found two interesting links dismissing this theory...

http://hubpages.com/hub/pit-bull-attack
http://pit-bulls.christianfunfair.org/attacks.htm (warning - pics)

Sure, there may be loving, reliable pits out there but there have been too many attacks on humans as well as other animals for me to be comfortable around them. My neighbor's dog is a pitbull, she told me the breed when I asked.

·
Registered
345 Posts
sorry to hear that. It's defintely scary when something like that happens. It's getting to the point that people may really want to consider carrying a golf club or something with them when they walk. There was a dog down the road from us, I don't think it was a pitbull though, that would be chained up when it was outside and if you drove down that street it would sprint to the road until the chain stopped him. If he ever gave it enough pull that chain would have broken and he would have gotten hit. When I walked Jacey down that street we'd turn before we got to that house. I don't think that dog's there anymore though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wow....this is bad. Poor Bruce.......I would imagine he will be skiddish for a while and not want to go that way for awhile. I am not a fan of Pit's and agree I would like to see them outlawed in my community.

They are working dogs and people think it is cool to have an attack dog. They don't train them and this crap happens. I doubt the Pit and the owners is going to learn from this. I agree about the pepper spray not working. In fact, you might end up spraying Bruce and yourself in the commotion. You need a telescopic stun gun or something stronger and more permanent. If it was going after my wife and dog, it would be something more permanent especially if it was on my property.

You and Bruce were very fortunate to get out of there alive. I would call authorities and report the attack. This dog might have already attacked someone. If you don't and it attacks someone else's dog or god forbid child then you will never forgive yourself. Let animal control take it over.

Regarding the post dated check......Sounds to me that the people are living week to week and this is being Christmas week they have no money. It was tacky that they did not tell you, however, they have made an attempt to make it right. I would be at the bank on the day it was dated and cash it though. I would not put it in the checking account. That will only cause you problems with your bank if it is returned.

I am sorry that you and Bruce went through this. ......I am glad you two are OK physically.

Best of Luck !

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am SO angry reading about this. And so sorry for poor Bruce (and you). I think the animal should be reported.

I have carried pepper spray with me since my rat terrier was attacked by a rottie that burst through a gate and crossed the street to get at him. My poor little guy was terrified, but thankfully not injured.

Someone mentioned that pepper spray does not work - what would be a good effective option? I am not very physical (heart condition) so not sure about fighting back with the golf club!

Kris

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
I would definitely call animal control. It isn't safe to have a dog like that who can get out just by someone opening the door. If they want to keep that kind of dangerous dog they should at least have a fenced yard as backup.

Also, I would be suspicious of getting a post dated check.

·
-Sam from California
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Once again, pit bulls are known to be dog aggressive. This is how they were bred, this is how they remain. They are NOT bred to be human aggressive. Someone who owns a pit bull should be extra careful about keeping them in their sites all the time. But, also, many so called "pit bull" attacks, aren't even pit bulls. People see blocky headed, short haired dogs and immediately think "pit bull!", when it reality many of the dogs are boxers, bulldogs, staffies, even labs. A coworker of mine kept complaininng of a stray pitt bull roaming her neighborhood. She was afraid it was going to eat her children. She took some pictures of it and showed me. The dog she was talking about couldn't have been further from a pit bull if it tried. Didn't even look like a bully mix of anything. More like a shepherd/lab something. After I told her this, and pulled up pictures of a real pit bull, she was fine with the stray dog roaming her neighborhood. When in all reality, the stray dog could be just as aggressive as she thought a pittie could be, but since it wasn't, she was no longer concerned. Pretty dumb if you ask me.
The owner should definitely pay all the vet bills, and it should be reported. Was the other dog UTD?
Sorry, I get defensive because my best friend has a full blooded pittie who is a love. He lives with 2 other dogs and 5 cats, and is the lowest animal on the totem poll in that house, including the cats. I
as a very knowledgable person of numerous dog breeds, I am 100% percent positive it was a pitbull, & none of the breeds you listed. Not saying they're all aggressive, however, many are trained to be aggressive as are other dog breeds. It is how the dog is raised & exposed to other dogs that determines it's toleration of other dogs, people & children. I myself have owned a pitbull, so I am aware of their tempermant & so forth. Mine was very sweet & active, & also tolerant of other dogs. But thank you for putting in your input.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts