Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's safe to say winter has finally hit us up north. It's been an amazing summer and an incredible autumn. There's not much of a spring or autumn up hereabouts but this fall was beautiful. I'm impressed we made it til mid-November before winter hit, actually.

But, it's now here. Highs this weekend of -15C, which I think is around 3 or 5 F. Windchill takes us down to -22/24 tonight or -8/11F. Plus snow. Ranger's been going nuts inside the house but is also getting cold on his long walks so not only did my thermal undies come out, but his winter jackets came out too. He's already lost some weight due to the cold so I'm back to stuffing kongs for him to get some weight on!

So it's going to be layers and hot chocolate and soup for me for the rest of the winter! How's everyone else going to deal with cold temps? Summer is looking a looong way off!

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Officially pulled my winter coat out and stashed it in my bedroom closet. Still haven't worn it yet. I'm slowly starting to layer up. :D

I was outside training after work today and it was snowing... but not that bad. Probably the only bit of me that was actually cold was my hands. >.<

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Brrrrrrrrrr..and here I am in NC, grumbling at having to remove hoses brcause it's going down to 28f here tonight....we wll be 60s this weekend....don't think I could stand it there!

·
Registered
200 Posts
We are on the other end of the spectrum (Australia). Today is our first 37C (97f) and on Monday we had our first local bush fire! It's great that summer is here, but a bit daunting with all the natural disasters and the warning that it's going to be a crazy summer!

Plus our air conditioner stopped working last summer, we just called up a guy to come look at it and he said sounds like it buggered and just buy a new one!! I was a bit devastated, as we would have saved up over winter so we could buy a new had we realized we needed a new one. And oh my gosh I never knew air conditioners were so expensive!!

I'm sure ranger is devoted to snuggling up to all winter long to keep you toasty!! Its great having bbqs and down the beach with the dog everyday, but I think I would be willing to trade summer for your nice cold snowy winter! Any takers?

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Not winter till December 21!
It's cold here tonight, but gonna warm up next week. I'm refusing to even think about winter until it's officially here, gonna enjoy the Fall while it lasts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
where are you from Ranger?? our high is also -15 here haha.. also our low for Saturday is -25 =(

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where are you from Ranger?? our high is also -15 here haha.. also our low for Saturday is -25 =(
About 4-5 hours south of you :wave: Stupid Alberta winters!

·
Registered
277 Posts
haha awesome.. yes they do indeed suck. i lived in Peace River for the last 4 years prior to moving to Bonnyville. this time of year i start to wonder why we do not migrate haha.. Pumba is sure loving the snow though =)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Heh... I pulled out my long underwear when temps dropped into the 40s here. :eek:

Living in the south these last two years has really softened me up! I used to wear sandals in Chicago winters, now I can hardly bear to wear sandals unless it's 70 degrees+.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I think we were supposed to have a frost last night. Rats, because I didn't get out there and pick the last of the green tomatoes or the basil.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We had a high of 34 F yesterday with strong wind. I was going to work Daz but the wind did it for me. A lot of running, rearing and kicking out. Today is supposed to be warmer but windier. My resolve to work horses out in the elements all winter is being tested already and it's not even that cold yet.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's everyone's temp cut-offs for certain activities?

In regards to Penny Mom's and kdmarsh's posts, I don't:
- bring in my horse when it's super windy out because it'll usually be a disaster. At this stage in his life, he doesn't need the stress he puts on himself.

- ride horses when it's -25 C or colder. Too hard on their bodies and lungs.

- walk Ranger when it's -20 C or colder. He's miserable: limping even with booties on and shaking even with a jacket on...I'm too happy either.

- at -10C, my big red parka comes out and I wear that. Otherwise, I try to make do with my leather jacket (always have a spare warm jacket in the car, though).

- at -15, I stay inside the cabin or ski lounge instead of hitting the hill.

- at -30, I try not to leave the house at all. Or if there's 2-3 ft of snow.

Other than that, winter is just like summer....or so I keep telling myself.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Flora has no limits. She was born when it was -25 degrees F outside with the windchill and to this day doesn't seem to care how cold it is. She will sit in snow in bone chilling winds just being like, "Sup?" I didn't walk her when it was that cold because I was worried she'd harm her paws.

I think she did harm her paws though - they're pale pink/white in the center instead of black.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We are still in that stage of alternating cold and warm/hot days and I refuse to turn on the heater at night and the AC the next day! So we are officially "cold soaked" in our house now--temperature around 65 degrees.

I'm already wearing coats, sweats and hats on my early morning walks. Temps in the upper 30s to lower 40s, except a couple of days earlier this week when the morning lows were 69 and 70!

·
Registered
277 Posts
we don't go too far in the cold but pumba will most likely be getting a bit of a walk each day when we help my grandparents go down and check cows each day =)

·
Charlotte
6,579 Posts
Cold here today, probably just a tad below 0 degrees C but a nasty wind. Glad I had on my down-filled jacket, hat and gloves.
I find it's not about temperature, it's the wind or lack of it. -10 with no wind is quite pleasant. We don't get too many days below -10 here.
As for Jess, he loves the cold. Ran around today like someone had shot him out of a cannon!

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but this was in Orangeville, Ontario yesterday as a snow storm hit.

Fortunately it didn't last long and its going up to like 13 this weekend.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The dogs are going mad here. Blue's over for a sleepover so they're playing inside, get all wound up, and then let outside to tear around the yard. They only last about 5 minutes before they come limping to the door to get let in and get their paws warmed up. I'm about to kick them out again right away.

Yep, -20 right now with no wind. On wednesday, it's going to be +6.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
Yep....freakin' cold here too!!!! I took Reno for a walk by himself and he was all get up and go. We then took Austin and Lincoln out and they didn't get 1 block from home before they started lifting their feet and picking ice balls out!!! We ended up going for about 35 minutes but had to make several stops for toe cleaning.

After 1 week of winter, the boys and I are ready to see it go!!!!!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate the ice balls! Ranger is such a baby about them so I pulled out ranger's booties. I bought them in May...they're little fleece ones, handmade, and the money went to a rescue organization. They fit him, which is great. He's pretending he can't walk in them which is pretty funny.

I'm ready for less cold winter temperatures! You can feel the cold air coming through the windows and the cupboards in the kitchen....brrr!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts