Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10-week-old puppy was born with a patch of brown fur the size of a quarter on her hip. Would this disqualify her from the breed ring?

·
the party's crashing us
4,656 Posts
"it depends" on how easily you could cover it up
I would question any breed who sold a mis-mark as a show prospect...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your response. The patch of brown fur can probably be covered up, but I'd like to know if doing so would be a generally accepted solution to the problem or would it be considered unethical. I am fairly new to this and I want to do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thank you so much for your response. The patch of brown fur can probably be covered up, but I'd like to know if doing so would be a generally accepted solution to the problem or would it be considered unethical. I am fairly new to this and I want to do the right thing.
A photo, please?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Do you have a picture? I just wonder if it's actually brown or just a darker spot that will blend with age. My guy had a little dark drizzle on top of his head that is completely gone now that he's grown.

·
Super Moderator
2,996 Posts
I am coming back to this with more thoughts. Here are my suspicions:

1) that this puppy in brindle instead of dominant black and we are seeing kbr/-, Ay/- and we are seeing brindle breaking through instead of black.

2) that since somatic mutations are novel mutations, it’s possible that it’s just affecting more than one allele

I did not come up with these myself, but the first is the most plausible to me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts