Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is with a very heavy heart and many tears that I need to rehome my four-year-old male Golden, Tucker. He has had a few issues with my other male, Luke (eight-year-old), over the past three years. Never with any other dogs, only Luke. Last night he attacked him again and it lasted about three minutes before I could separate them. I have done everything I can think of but nothing has worked. 99.99% of the time he is a precious and amazing boy. He would be such a wonderful dog in an only dog home. He has been around so many other dogs and we've never had a problem. It's just Luke. When I had my daughter in May, and the dogs were at a kennel, he was outside playing great with like ten other dogs. As soon as Luke came out, though, Tucker ran and attacked him. We've worked with a trainer and I've talked with a few behaviorists. We've even tried medicating him. Tucker is awesome with kids and other dogs. It's just Luke. There are no triggers. No warning whatsoever. Tuck is neutered and up to date on all vaccinations. He is a spoiled and loving boy and I think he would be awesome as an only dog. This absolutely breaks my heart to think of finding him a new home, but this isn't fair to Luke and he really caused damage last night. :( Please let me know if you might be able to help me find Tucker a new home. Thank you so much.

Attachments

Reactions: Karen519

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys so very much for your sweet posts.

Reactions: Karen519

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this Blair, I know this absolutely has to be your last resort.
Will see if I can help in any way.

·
Registered
586 Posts
so sad to hear what you are going through. We also rescued a Golden that was raised with other dogs, but as soon as we brought her into our home, she became very agressive towards other dogs (ANY dogs). It prevented us from adding another Golden to our family, but because she was our only dog, we were able to deal with it. I'm not sure if you have a golden retriever rescue locally, but Golden Retreiever Rescue of Northern Illinois is wonderful and they have taken in Goldens from places other than Illinois. Good luck, and I hope you are able to find a good home for this handsome boy!

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mayapaya, I will get in touch with Golden Retriever Rescue of Northern Illinois. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Blairelli

Blairelli

I am so very sorry to hear about Tucker. Knowing you and your love of dogs I know this has to be a last resort. Will let you know if I think of anything.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Here is a link to their website www.asgoodasgold.org --they are wonderful people--if it's possible for them to help, I'm sure they will find a great home for Tucker--their website has countless testimonials about many goldens who have a found a forever home through them!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Blair,

I know you love your boys so much and this is breaking your heart. But you want to do what is best for both of them. I pray that a forum member or a rescue will be able to help you. He is so handsome. My heart goes out to you. Give all your pups and your beautiful daughter a big kiss from me.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I am so sorry you have to make this difficult choice but believe me both dogs will have a more comfortable life apart from each other. I have a couple of friends who have had to make this same decision for the sake of both of their dogs. Sometimes dogs just cannot live together.

My heart goes out to you. Your love for both of them is obvious.

Reactions: Blaireli

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I'm sorry this is necessary Blair. I know how much youi love your puppers. I'm sure you will find the best home for Tucker. It's a double worry when you have a baby in the house and the chance of a dog fight happening near her is a chance you cannot take.

Hugs to you, I know how hard this is.

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
Blair, I can't say how sorry I am. Your heart is so big, and you are so loving. Let me know if there is anything you need.

Reactions: Blaireli

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Any chance there are any up and coming events in Ohio to help dogs get new homes? My cousin works at a pet spa in Orrville and I remember last February(the end of the month) she attended a dog event at a car dealership. Not sure who sponsored the event, ASPCA? My cousin rescued a golden herself from some rescue around Ashland or Medina. My cousin is in Wooster.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Blair, I am so very sorry to hear this. I have lived in a house with two dogs that didn't get along, well actually the one dog would have been perfectly happy to get along, but the other attacked her out of the blue for many years. I feel your pain, but the good news is that you can rehome Tucker because he is a good boy. Hugs sweetie. I'll be thinking of you!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts