Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been a while since I've been around but I've had a lot of non-Golden family issues come up that I needed to attend to.

That being said, Ori has an emergency visit to the vet today as this morning at 6AM I found him limping and having trouble with his left front paw. I first noticed it when I was half asleep, and for 2 minutes afterwards, he seemed ok, just a little slow with walking. (He usually is when he's tired.) However, I had someone come over this morning and she pointed it out, so I know it wasn't my imagination. I called two vets, and the earliest one I could get was 5:10pm, it's not 2:20pm now.

I've been trying to find the problem, he's not yelping, but he's extremely out of sorts and doesn't look "happy" as he normally does. He doesn't whimper when I touch his paw, he doesn't jump back or whine, or even show he's in pain. He just sits looking forlorn and seeks hugs.

About an hour ago, I went to check it for the 100th time, and I think I found the problem. On his left paw, near his ankle, it feels weak and it moved ever so slightly, it clicks like it's disconnected or loose. Even at this he didn't react, but when I checked the right paw, there was nothing wrong. It felt strong, and sturdy and didn't move.

Is it possible he has a broken ankle or perhaps dislocated? If so, how long will it take to heal initally? I would guess around 4-6 weeks a little similar to human breaks. I'm asking just to be prepared for when I go to the vet, so there's no shocks. I worry out of my skin when my babies are sick, and this is the worst I've ever dealt with. I've already broken down in tears today.

Now Caue's Dad Too!
My bet is that it is nothing but be sure to go through with the vet visit. In my experience puppies are made of rubber and often go through this. Please keep us posted.

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
My belated beloved Jean-luc once was limping around..... took him to vet.... was even limping around in the waiting area... got in to see the vet.... ????? NO LIMP!!!!

We never really knew what it was... even vet guessed he had something stuck in his paw.

Hopefully like Jean-luc.... it will be nothing to worry about.

Best of luck!!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Oakley's. It took me a while to post that first post too. It's now 4pm here, so he's off in less than an hour. He's almost 14 months now, but he's having trouble with everything. He can't sit, stand up, or walk. If he lays down and tries to get up, he struggles and it takes him a few tries before he lifts his foot up and hops up on three legs. When he's sitting, he has it up in the air and won't put it on the ground.

I'll keep you all posted once I return from the vet.

Registered
I am so sorry Ori is hurting. :( It is so good you are taking him to see the Dr., as it sounds like it is bothering him more. Please let us know what the Dr. finds the problem to be. I will be so hoping and praying it won't be anything serious.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from the vets. Ori is doing ok, he's been told to rest, put on a new food diet with joint building supplements and was given an anti-infammantry injection, along with a trial dose of tablets to take for the next ten days. In ten days, we go back to see if things have gotten better or worse.

He's somehow pulled a carpal-like ligament in his ankle, but she couldn't see if it's torn yet. In 10 days, if it's torn, we could possibly be looking at an operation. In the meantime, he's been instructed to rest, wean him onto the new diet, take the tablets and not to let him run or jump around, and I have to take him out in the yard on a leash.

:( I'm still a bit concerned, but it's a lot better than I expected so far. I just hope all goes well in the meantime.

This sounds like he could have pano... I'd ask the vet about it before giving any supplements... Is he on an adult formula food?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
He was on Pedigree Puppy since he's been with me and I was advised today to put him on Royal Canin Junior, which is similar to Science Diet, but has joint support because the vet preferred keeping him on puppy-nutrition until 15-18 months. I gave him a little of it this evening with 3 1/4's of his regular food and plan on weaning him with it throughout the next 10-14 days.

She also was a bit concerned because he wasn't at the right height, and has lost a lot of weight to the point he's underweight and some word she used that I can't remember. I'm not familar on too many terms. Because he's still growing and underweight, she thought the joint might have been flimsy and was having troubles developing. She said it was due to the fact that the Pedigree was 75% water and he wasn't retaining enough and it was just going straight through him. Which might explain why I've barely seen him drink water in front of me. Lol.

I looked up panosteitis because I hadn't heard of it before, but the only symptons he's really getting is limping. Since the vet, he's been ok after the anti-inflammotry just a bit sleepy, which at 12:21am he's usually sleeping anyway. He's walking on it better since as well, but I suppose that's from the reduction of the swelling. I'm still keeping a close eye on him, and been given anti-inflammotry tablets to give him in the morning for a few days to see if that helps or isn't the effect at all. At this point, they're just trying to see how bad it is without delving straight into an x-ray.

He does seem a bit happier too, which to me, is a good sign and one of the brighter parts about it all. I will keep it in mind though, and speak to the vet about it. It's not really a supplement, it's just in the new food. My apologies, I should have worded that better.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, also to add. I forgot to mention that he has access to the backyard throughout the day and night, so there is a possibility that while I was asleep yesterday morning, he jumped or stumbled on it wrong. I however, just didn't see it. I was first thinking it was a sprain, so that's when I called the vet and they advised me to bring him in. Then later, that's when I found the unusuallness with the injured paw. I explained it to the vet, but she didn't really say anything regarding it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts