Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am planning on bringing my new pup home in February and am trying to prepare. I live in California, but I am getting a puppy from back home in Wisconsin. (My family has gotten dogs from the breeder previously so I knew I could trust them)

The breeders have told me that they frequently have people pick up their puppies and fly them back home under the seat in a carry-on puppy-carrying bag. I will only feel comfortable if I can keep my eyes on the pup the whole time, but I'm still nervous about it.

Has anyone traveled with such a young pup? Any recommendations on how to make sure she's calm and comfortable for the trip? Advice on potty breaks before and during the flight? It's about a 4 hour flight.

Thanks in advance!

·
16,000 Posts
I have flown with several puppies in Sherpa bags, which fit under the seat. They've all done very well. You are not supposed to have them out in the cabin, but I've found that most flight attendants are pretty lenient about that rule. I have found that for the most part, the puppies almost do better being left in the bags, as getting them out excites them and they aren't as inclined to want to return to the carriers.
They do well, and I have no qualms about flying them this way.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Hi There! I recently flew with Jules home on a plane when he was 8 weeks old. As mentioned - the airline will have some very detailed information.

Airlines will ask that your puppy has eaten within 4 hours of flying. My breeder has now flown several puppies home and per her vets suggestions, withhold food and water prior to flying. Prevents the chances of elimination on the plane. I kept a pocket full of kibbles to feed a few now and then while traveling and asked for a cup of ice chips also to give Jules as well.

Make your airline reservations early and inform them of a puppy traveling. Airlines are allowed to carry only so many pets at one time, even in cabin. Then arrive at the airport early as well to ensure your seat reservation.

Do you have a layover at all during your flight. If so I suggest taking some pee pads and when you land, go to the restroom and encourage your puppy to do his business.

I was able to spend a week with my breeder before traveling home so we worked with potty training before coming home. Every time he did bathroom work, we would all get excited and say 'good hurry up' and of course I would take him out of his box many times while there and take him outside just for the purpose of potty time and tell him 'hurry up'

Another thing my breeder did was carry him around in his travel bag often to get him conditioned to traveling.

Just sitting there he did squeal a lot but for the car ride and plane ride he was a complete angel!

The vet should know what is needed for the health clearances. It's really a very simple certificate and I am certain the airline web sites will detail this out as well.

Get an aisle seat! Easier to load you and your puppy in and the crew LOVES to come admire their furry travelers. Jules even got to go to the cockpit at the end of his flight and the pilot came back holding him with his set of wings!

And on a final note - Per the breeders suggestion and my vet - We used Bach's Rescue Remedy for our flight home. It's a herbal product that is used to curb edginess, anxiety and stress. Just a few drops on the tongue 30 minutes before flying and your pup will be ready to go. It does not drug them into a sleepy state, it simply calms them. Also a very good product to use for thunderstorm phobic dogs, during fireworks and for trips to the vet to calm them down. You can find this online, in health food stores and I got mine at the local grocery store in the health food section.

Going through airport security you will have to carry him through the metal detectors so have his collar off him at that time.

I just purchased one of those $15 bags from Walmart for a 22 lb pet.

On the plane he never made a sound, I did however warn the person in front of me I had a puppy under their seat in case he got wiggly and they felt something moving! LOL!

After the plane took off, I would pull he bag out from under the seat and carry the bag in my lap and reach in and pet him while flying until we prepared for landing.

You are going to have a blast bringing your puppy home on the plane!!! Jules was a hit at the airport and on the plane by all!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Flip rode home on the plane with me. The breeder said the pups always just sleep right through the flight. Not this dog. He threw a hissy fit about being stuffed in a bag. Lots of complaining from passengers but not much I could do about it. Attendent made me keep the bag on the floor. I heard the man behind me say he wish he had taken a human sedative.

I finally figured out that if I unzipped the bag enough to let his head stick out, he was fine and slept the whole rest of the way like that.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I flew with Misty from CA to FL about a 5 hours flight when she was 12 weeks old. She did fine! Although on the way back she barely fit in the bag..I opened the side flap so she could lay stretched out! She was perfect and the flight attendents were really noce I took her out and had her on my lap for a while. She did great. Just make sure you have all the certificates and all that the airline require...they are all different. Congratulations on your new puppy!!

·
Kristy
9,939 Posts
Hey amsam.... thanks for starting the thread and to everyone who responded.... I'm bringing our new baby home on a plane on January 4th and am glad to hear from everyone. Also glad to hear that the majority had good experience... hopefully my little angel won't pull a 'Flip' :) Glad to hear that Flip was eventually calmed... I'll file that away just in case....

Pretty much have had the same advice, also to bring along baby wipes and some little towels in case of an accident.

Should be an adventure ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to everyone for the advice! This is all really helpful! You even answered questions I didn't realize I had. I hadn't thought about going through a metal detector.

I love the ice chips idea and will try to get her used to the travel bag before we travel. I will definitely remember what kept Flip happy just in case.

So nobody had to take the puppy for a potty break during the plane ride? That sounds great. I was worried about squeezing her into that tiny airplane bathroom.

And I hope the crew lets me take her out of the bag like Misty. That sounds like a great way to fly!

nolefan, if you learn anything new in your travels in a couple weeks, I'd love to hear! I'm sure it's going to be exciting! I know I can't wait!

Thank you all!

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
You've gotten great advice :) I flew home from Texas to Wisconsin with 2 puppies a few years ago, and it was great. The puppies were the hit of both airports and were very good on the plane. It was fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I will chime in with everything said so far. I will stress to be sure to make your flight plans well in advance and STRESS that you will have a puppy with you on the return flight. You can not do this on-line you need to speak to a person at reservations. Some airlines have a one dog per flight allowed in the cabin. When I flew Oriana home she at first did not take well to the sherpa bag but did adjust by the time we got to the airport while driving there.
I was very lucky to have a dog lover seated next to me who insisted I take her out of the bag. The flight crew told me as long as no one complained it was ok but we would have to return her to the bag if someone said something.
If you have not yet got a sherpa bag try ebay, that was where I got mine. I later sold it to a friend son it cost me next to nothing in the end. I lined the bottom with a couple of "wee wee pads" just in case she had an accident and she did not have a water for 2 hours before the flight.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My DH is a commercial airline pilot. He would never fly any dog in the belly of the plane (his choice) but flying the puppy with you in the cabin is great. The advice you've been given is wonderful. If my DH is the captain on your flight you may need to visit him in the cockpit beforehand so he can get some puppy love and kisses (from the puppy of course:)). He loves flying animals in the cabin. Once they even flew a siberian tiger cub from DFW to Dulles. They got the cub out and put it in first class seat to admire it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! A siberian tiger! That's incredible.

Thank you all for the help. I'm looking forward to the adventure and feel much more prepared! I just found out my puppy was just born two days ago so the official countdown has begun!

·
Daisy-Broken Heart Healer
595 Posts
Hi amsam, I don't have any good advice, but am curious about where you are getting your Wisconsin puppy from. There are lots of good breeders here. We have a Dichi girl, as many here do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup! I'm getting a Dichi girl as well. She will be from Tooshie and Chance's litter. How about yours?

·
595 Posts
Wonderful! That is so exciting. We have Annie, whose father is Gambler. Gambler is Tooshie's great-grandfather. So, Annie and your new puppy will be related. Annie is 7 1/2 now...still acts like a puppy though. Your girl will be beautiful! With Victor and Gambler in her lines, you can't go wrong.

It sounds like you have family here, but, seriously, we live between the airport and Dichi's. If you need a puppy shuttle, we would be happy to help out. A trip to see all the Dichi dogs sounds like heaven.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the offer, Prov31! I do have family nearby, but I really appreciate your generosity. I loved visiting Dichi Goldens and will take as many pictures as possible to share.

How fun that we will have related pups! Would that make Annie my puppy's great-aunt? :)

·
595 Posts
Hi amsam, Annie would be a great-aunt (I think). She's great at anything she does! Such a wonderful, sweet girl. She makes us laugh all the time. We work from our home, so we get to enjoy her antics all day long.

Getting a cute puppy would be the only reason many folks would fly to Wisconsin in February. But you get to grab her and go back to California. If you do need some extra help getting to/from the airport or to Dichi's, the offer still stands!

Here's a picture of our Annie--setting a very good example for her little niece:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi! Sorry to re-hash an old thread, but I am flying to WI from Boston to pick up my new pup on May 4th (Friday). The puppy was born March 10th (Saturday), so I think technically he will be one day shy of exactly 8 weeks. Does anyone know if they actually counted weeks, or did the airlines just need a 'health certificate'? Thanks for your responses. I am soooo excited!!!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
It has been my experience that they do not count days or weeks, just want a health certificate.
And CONGRATS on the new upcoming pup!!!:wave:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts