Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Hope everyone is doing well! I am picking up my 8 week old puppy in about 2 weeks from Ohio, and have about a 10 hour trip home from the pickup destination. I was just concerned as to will my puppy be able to handle the whole ride in one shot or is it recommended I stay the night halfway towards home somewhere? I am also concerned as to if I were to do any kind of rest stops, what areas would be generally safe for my puppy to walk around due to the fact that the puppy hasn't been completely vaccinated? Any kind of feedback would be very helpful along with any tips for the road trip and as to how to prevent any kind of motion sickness or just anxiety for the puppy in general. Thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn’t let that puppy anywhere near a rest stop grassy area, depending on how busy the rest stop there could have been literally thousands of dogs pooping and peeing there, people walking around grass with god knows what on their feet from god knows where.

probably could find some decent grassy green (but not dog park related) areas that are off of the freeway a few minutes where most travelers wouldn’t bother to go if they’re driving thru

·
Registered
173 Posts
You're likely to need a rest stop from driving though? 10 hours in one go, after picking up a puppy is a lot... For both of you.
Can you break the journey somewhere in the middle, get off the main roads and take a break where you can spend some time interacting with the pup and cleaning/changing his/her crate so the pup gets some time with you as a carer, and a food, water and rest break, before you carry on? Maybe you don't need to actually get the puppy out of the car? 2 or 3 rest stops would be even better.
Puppies sleep a lot, but 10 hours straight in the car after leaving their litter mates, and without love and attention from their new human dog parent is a big ask for a little one.

·
Maegan
627 Posts
I have done this twice, and I just made sure to stop every 2 hours or so to let the puppy potty. Puppy gets water and breakfast early (about an hour) before we leave, a little tiny bit of water with lunch, and then nothing else until we get home. The lunch stop with water is usually 30-45 minutes since puppy will need to potty before eating and shortly after. I recommend getting a very small wire crate for transport. The puppy will likely sleep most of the way and is unlikely to potty in the little crate. The whole trip ends up taking about 12 hours like this, but it’s doable. If you feel comfortable stopping halfway and spending the night, it may be easier on you, but the con is that it will take you an extra day to get home. I’m very much a “get home as fast as possible” person.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're likely to need a rest stop from driving though? 10 hours in one go, after picking up a puppy is a lot... For both of you.
Can you break the journey somewhere in the middle, get off the main roads and take a break where you can spend some time interacting with the pup and cleaning/changing his/her crate so the pup gets some time with you as a carer, and a food, water and rest break, before you carry on? Maybe you don't need to actually get the puppy out of the car? 2 or 3 rest stops would be even better.
Puppies sleep a lot, but 10 hours straight in the car after leaving their litter mates, and without love and attention from their new human dog parent is a big ask for a little one.
Thank you, I should have included that I will probably stop every few hours, I was just worried as to where I should stop to give the puppy some play time and affection because she won't be fully vaccinated. There will be another person traveling with me so she will definitely receive lots of love and care! I appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have done this twice, and I just made sure to stop every 2 hours or so to let the puppy potty. Puppy gets water and breakfast early (about an hour) before we leave, a little tiny bit of water with lunch, and then nothing else until we get home. The lunch stop with water is usually 30-45 minutes since puppy will need to potty before eating and shortly after. I recommend getting a very small wire crate for transport. The puppy will likely sleep most of the way and is unlikely to potty in the little crate. The whole trip ends up taking about 12 hours like this, but it’s doable. If you feel comfortable stopping halfway and spending the night, it may be easier on you, but the con is that it will take you an extra day to get home. I’m very much a “get home as fast as possible” person.
Thank you this is very helpful! I was just worried as to if even with the stops along the way if that would be too frustrating for a pup to deal with being in the car for so long. I also am a get home as fast as possible person so I agree with you there haha. Thank you for the feedback!

·
Maegan
627 Posts
Thank you this is very helpful! I was just worried as to if even with the stops along the way if that would be too frustrating for a pup to deal with being in the car for so long. I also am a get home as fast as possible person so I agree with you there haha. Thank you for the feedback!
I’m not saying there won’t be any crying (puppy or human lol), but they can handle it. Long trips like that aren’t easy even with adult dogs. I live 10-11 hours away from my family, so I make drives like this a few times a year. The bonus with adults is that they don’t really need to stop to pee but every 3-4 hours and can hold it even longer if necessary.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
We had only about a 4 hour drive with Rukie. We ran him around good at the breeders and after a couple minutes of screaming in the crate, he pretty much slept the whole time. I took a pee pee pad and set it in the back of the van and let him go there. For a 10 hour trip I would look for an office complex or a church or some place where there is grass but not likely to be a popular dog spot. Offer him some food and water but it's quite likely be won't eat and let him run around on the leash. I am parvo paranoid so I would probably have a big jug of water and rinse his feet and dry with a towel before getting back in the car. Congratulations, having a puppy is a blast!

Reactions: GoldenIper

·
Registered
42 Posts
We did 51/2 hrs with Windy. My wife was next to her crate. A few squeaks but no real wailing. Mostly slept.
We had a pee tray with Pads in the bottom for her to go on in a rest area worked great.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We picked up our Newfie puppy in June. It was a 20 hour road trip, and we did it in two days. I think you can do 10 hours in one day for sure. He slept the whole ride and was a perfect angel. Bring some towels, toys, bowls for food and water, etc.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
We did six hours. I sat by our puppy on the way home and my husband drove. He was in a 20" crate. We stopped every hour and a half to let him potty (not at rest stops) and he did fine. He had a toy in his crate and a padded crate bottom. No accidents and I don't really remember much whimpering. If he started, I would interact with him. We fed him on the way home and he whimpered not long after that. We interpreted that as needing to potty and we stopped and he did.

I think you'll be fine. If it were me, I'd head home without breaking up the trip into two days because I'm one of those people who wants to get home. Do what works best for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We also had a 5 hour drive. I tried to look for a grassy spot for the pup to go but was very scared about her picking up something - plus - she had never been outside, so really had no idea what to do with grass. I brought lots of old towels and we put her in her crate in the car when we stopped (she had been on my daughter's lap) and found she had gone when we got back. I switched out the towels (bring a plastic garbage bag) for the next time. She really didn't eat or drink but I would offer a little. That got us home.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,036 Posts
I have done the 10 hour drive for a puppy twice. From basically Philly (40 min south in MD is where I am) to Kalamazoo Michigan (was about 13 hours back with weather and stops). Brought water from the breeders place (about 5 gallons, used gallon jugs) the food the breeder was feeding (8# bag) and a travel kennel, though she only wanted to sleep in my lap or the floorboard at my feet, yes I was the passenger :). Whenever she got restless I just grabbed as 6" bully stick and held for her to gnaw. at that age they can really do much gamage and aren't eathing anythign off it. was the perfect pacifier. She probably slept 11 hours of the 13 hour trip.

I stopped at rest stops both time I made this trip, no issues. at 8 weeks they have their mom immunity or help from the first set of shots the breed should have given at 6 weeks. There is no difference with wild animal risks at a rest stop or home or the breeders home as critters roam everywhere. same if it's other dogs, there no where sterile. if that concerned with this just get a sanitizing wipe and use on the paws as soon as you pick them up then just wipe off the alcohol with a baby wipe. The maybe 5 or 6 times you will need to do this won't dry them out or harm them.

I pretty much did the same thing as Maegan described above too. no accidents the whole way back.

I got my first dog from this breed back in Jan 2004 and Maggie in Dec 2017 and it's amazing how you can remember so much of those trips!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts