Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost 5 month old pup, Simba, has been sleeping outside, but be really want him to sleep inside. The problem is that our room has a carpet floor and we are afraid of him peeing and stuff inside the room in the middle of the night. We always let him in except for the night. We dont have a doggie door. Simba mostly doesnt pee inside, but sometimes he does but never poo. He doesnt know to stand in front of the door so that we let him out. I was wondering if anyone could tell how to train him to sleep inside...He is really calm and even takes naps on my bed sometimes..

·
Registered
869 Posts
Even though he is a little older you might want to consider a crate or enclosed area for night. He won't like it at first but will settle into it. Maybe get a kong to fill with treats that he is only allowed while in the crate.
In my opinion, Goldens are meant to be inside dogs.

Goodluck!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I agree on using a crate just like if he was 8 weeks old. Goldens are really family dogs who like to live inside with their families. Work on house breaking just like he was very young, taking him out every 30 min and several times during the night till he get's "it".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he sleeps outside next to the laundry room door in a plastic kennel, without door. So what your saying is to make him sleep in a crate inside and then on my bed?

·
Registered
369 Posts
So what your saying is to make him sleep in a crate inside and then on my bed?
yes, he wont pee in "his spot"...
Having him crated inside at night is safer for him also. put the door on the plastic crate and bring it inside? or buy a new wire crate 36 or 42 inch crate. You dont know what goes through your back yard... Possiums, racoons ect.... We have Deer that path behind our home... lol

·
Registered
869 Posts
Once he is trained so you know he will go outside when needed, then if you want he wouldn't have to stay in the crate. Some dogs actually like it. I wouldn't let him on the bed to sleep until he is fully trained, unless you wake up if he gets down at night. ONce he is trained he probably won't even have to go through the night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts