Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Sorry I've kinda swamped the puppy section with threads lately, but you can only blame yourselves for being really helpful! :):)

How old is your puppy, how long you had them and how well toilet trained are they?

What tips, tricks, hints and 'magic tricks' can you help suggest to us?

We thought we were doing really well, seemed like we were starting to get her to tell us she wanted out, but all of a sudden, back to square one again. She has never poo'd inside, but the pee's just keep coming. We had a good run of almost a week accident free at one point too.

She is almost 13 weeks old and we've had her for 5 and a half weeks.

Don't get me wrong, she's hardly a 'trouble puppy', she has been an absolute darling sleeping through the night since we got her so I count my blessings with that part, just wondering if we really should've made more progress with the toilet training so far.

ps) please bear in mind we stay in a first floor apartment, if this makes any difference.

Thank you!!!

Danny and Isla

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Crates. They work. With every puppy I've had here, both my own and ones here to visit for a bit, I think at most I've had to mistakes total per pup. Usually it's maybe one if that. They go for a nap in the crate, outside to potty, then inside but WATCHED. First sign of them looking for a spot to go and they are scooped up and taken outside to the yard, pretty soon they start heading to the door when they have to go.

Lana

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Just make sure your consistant with taking the pup outside. They really can't hold their bladders until they are older.

Make sure you take the puppy out on the leash, go with her and take her in the same spot each time you go.

It takes a bit of time to potty train. Expect accidents, this is when the steam cleaner comes in really handy.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Try going back to near square one. Take her out every 15 minutes whether she has to pee or not. IF she pees than praise her a whole bunch. After a few days increase the interval to 20 minutes and so on. Consistency and praise.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a crate but only use it at night for bedtimes, you reckon we should maybe try put her in it during the day? Its in the bedroom but the door can be left open so we can hear her.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
when she goes where she is supposed to go praise her loads
if she looks like she is going to go in the house pick her up take her out side and again loads of praise
if she does anything in the house ignore her clean it up and get some deodorising spray as they can smell wee even when we cant and will continue to use the same spot

we did this with Ruby and it worked
she even does wee's on command now
if we are going in the car or out for a walk I say do wee's first and she does
if she doesnt need to go then I am sure she stoops so she looks like she is doing one just to please me and so she can go out lol

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hi guys.

Sorry I've kinda swamped the puppy section with threads lately, but you can only blame yourselves for being really helpful! :):)

How old is your puppy, how long you had them and how well toilet trained are they?

Duffy is 17 weeks old today. We got him at almost 8 weeks old, on November 9. He is very well toilet trained, hasn't had an accident inside since he was about 11 weeks old.

What tips, tricks, hints and 'magic tricks' can you help suggest to us?

We trained him to ring a bell when he wants to go out. It works very well. The only small complaint I have is that sometimes he rings it when he's bored and just wants to go out and play. And sometimes this happens 5 minutes after he's been let inside.

Kris

·
Kristy
10,413 Posts
honestly, I can't emphasize enough how much I agree with the crate being key for success. If you could even borrow one for your main living area temporarily, that sure would be nice. I am one who feels guilty confining our 10 week old puppy when he so clearly just wants to be with us. We had a great first week, not a single accident, then I sort of slacked off, didn't take him out as often, gave him more freedom, got more distracted and relied on my husband's help and we had 3 in one day. Needless to say I've toughened up and he's adjusting more to the crate and we're back to no accidents. Now if he'll just sleep thru the night........ :)

For me it is easier to take care of the potty training all by myself and it sort of seems like that makes it easier to keep track of...

Also, give a tiny bite size soft treat every time he goes potty and see if that doesn't help. It really has registered with Duncan that pottying outside is good stuff. Also doing bell training at the door, it was great with my previous dog.

Good luck!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts