Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am SOOO excited. Bridget is coming to a club about an hour from me in March. She has 3 days scheduled, day 1 is Motivational Techniques, Day 2 focuses on teaching happy heeling and day 3 is problem solving.

The price isn't bad actually. They broke cost down per day, so it is $50 to audit and $115 for a working spot.

My next question is...What is expected of the working dogs?

My pup and I are relatively new to Obedience but are working on open exercises. He is doing well and we just started working with a private instructor. We have not started trialing yet (just doing rally for exposure) but plan to soon!

Would we be out of place taking up a working spot? I am really interested in day 1 and 2...but maybe I can learn enough just my auditing? I'm just such a newbie and I feel like I should yeild the working spots to the more seasoned pups!

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
My personal opinion is that if you want a working stop, go for it! I think that it's better to watch a new person working during a seminar. It's more of a blank slate for the instructor :) All you have to do is listen and do your best. Nobody is going to be judging you. They will be impressed that you have enough confidence to get up there. And you will also get a ton out of it! No need to worry about saving stops of others. So yeah, go for it!

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I think you should go for it!! If there are no minimum requirements listed for the seminar, most definitely you should go and work your dog if that is how you learn best!

Actually it sounds ideal.

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
She is coming to our club later in the year, and I am also considering a working spot...although I've never done it before either...

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I have found that the working spots at most seminars are much more suited for people relatively new to the sport, or that need more ideas ect. It does depend on the level of the rest of the participants though. I would say(from what you have said previously) you would be at the right level for a working spot at one of Bridget's seminars. You would be able to understand what she is explaining, but be learning lots of new things. I sat on the sidelines with my last working spot, but there were lots of people that were learning lots of new things with their working spots.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
There is a good mix of working and sitting. She is also VERY good at working at the level of the teams. I would say grab a working spot, and take LOTS of notes, mental and written, she is fantastic, you won't be sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts