Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't think it would ever happen but we are in a good position to add another pup to the family!

This is what we want :

*A local breeder (Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, maybe Kentucky)
*I want a local breeder because I don't believe in shipping a puppy.
*I want a pup between May and August because I'm not taking summer classes this year.
*I want a male because Scout is a more passive female (very non alpha). I was told this would be best for her.
*I want a healthy pet quality pup. I can't afford the best, so if you think your dogs are the best, I probably can't afford one.
* I'm willing to pay for peace of mind as far as health goes.

I have a trusted retired neighbor walking Scout when I have to work between 11am and noon. I only work part time. He can come over more often if needed though. We also have a house on the lake, where Scout and our future pup will be able to swim every weekend in the summertime.

When we got Scout I was clueless as to how to pick a breeder. She was not from a petstore and not from a puppy mill, that's all I really knew to stay away from at the time. Her breeders are very good people. Lets just say they aren't the greatest breeders though. Parents didn't have clearences (father had hips done). I didn't even know enough to ask what they were, fine, excellent, ect. Scout is very healthy at two years old, thank God.

If you think my family would give one of your future pups a good home please private message me with your contact info. If you got a puppy from a really good breeder in my area please let me know about it.

Also, any advise on how to pick the right pup would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
Just wanted to let you know. The "best breeders" are NOT the most expensive ones. Many time the breeder that charges the most is just cashing in on the designer golden craze. i.e. like "English Creme" etc.

If you are willing to travel to Ohio...check out

www.grcco.org go to the puppy referral page.

Mine are from Aprilgoldens, but there are many reputable breeders in Ohio. Call and talk to them. And remember it is extremely important to check that they do all 4 clearances by the appropriate practitioner.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Can I be your new puppy? I would love to live at a lake house and swim all the time with another golden. ;)

Anyhow, good luck on the puppy search! And be picky - don't fall in love with the first cute face you see.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Absolutely true!

Gilmour came from one of the best, and he was $600 to $800 cheaper than the high volume breeders in the area.

Just wanted to let you know. The "best breeders" are NOT the most expensive ones. Many time the breeder that charges the most is just cashing in on the designer golden craze. i.e. like "English Creme" etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts