Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My marvelous golden died almost a year ago at the age of 16. He was my third golden. I am now considering bringing another golden into my life. I am looking for a breeder of long lived goldens. Golden breeders showing at a prominent dog show unanimously said that 10 is a long life for a golden. My first lived to be 14, my second died of a fast moving cancer at 9, my third lived to be 16. I am looking for breeders whose dogs typically live to be at least 12, and preferably older. I live in California, and while I would prefer a West Coast breeder, geography is not a problem. First golden was from NJ (Gold Rush), second from Calif., third from Washington state/British Columbia. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think there is a genetic component in longevity, but it is also how the dog is raised. Food, exercise, vet care, and vaccinations (in my beliefs lack of vaccinations (limiting), but that is only my opinion). With our dog, we will be limiting vaccines, feeding raw and also carefully monitoring other things.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you find a reputable breeder who does clearances, etc, and you raise your dog well, you can influence the longevity hugely.

·
Kate
22,107 Posts
Have you considered purchasing a golden retriever from the same breeder as your dog that lived to be 16? Or have you looked at similar lines?

I have a tough time imagining that anyone would say 10 is a long life for a golden... but I know plenty that say 10 is minimum what you should expect. Any dog dying younger is a shame.

Most male golden retrievers should live at least 11-13. With 12 being a pretty common age for a lot of their oldest male goldens.

Environment and care make a big difference with individual dogs as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His breeder--the owner of the dam--has gotten out of breeding, I understand. I am trying to track down the sire's breeder. The sire's breeder was in BC. Is it true that dogs coming from Canada to US must have rabies shots? Does rabies schedule apply to puppies. Does rabies schedule affect the age at which I can bring a dog from Canada to the US? And, yes, I was told by not one but by just about every breeder at a very big show that 10 is the max age for a golden now. Having raised healthy, loved, well-cared-for and long lived goldens, I would hope that the next golden, assuming good health clearances, would live a long life also. I'm biased, but I think that they are the best dogs in the world. It's hard to think about another breed...

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Have you looked I researched Smithaven Goldens?

Reactions: coady

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hope you find the perfect pup for your family!!

We rescued our second Golden at almost 10yo. She was in great health and was pretty spry for her age. We prayed for at least four years with her but we were blessed with over six -- she passed away just four months shy of 17!! I do not think she was from any type of breading with clearances on the parents (rescued from an elderly woman going into a home). She was such a blessing and healthy up until her last year.

Others may not agree, but I think there is definitely some luck involved with longevity. Yet, having said that, we searched for a pup from parents with all four clearances. We are praying for a long, healthy life for our Duke.

I read a sign the other day that read:
When we tell a dog to stay,
we really mean forever

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
My dog who lived to be almost 16 was from the Tigathoe lines. Sunfire golden has some very long-lived dogs, although golden as a breed there is no guarantee.

Reactions: Titan1 and coady

·
Registered
10 Posts
no rhyme or reason

I'm beginning to think that with cancer it is a crap shoot. My golden passed last week. She was 16. She was a gold-rush. Everything I read on here says gold-rush is cursed, dies young, etc. But my girl was happy and healthy till her last breath. My golden before that was from a breeder people on here favor, and she died from a hemangiosarcoma at 7. I'm also looking, I'm so lost.

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
His breeder--the owner of the dam--has gotten out of breeding, I understand. I am trying to track down the sire's breeder. The sire's breeder was in BC. Is it true that dogs coming from Canada to US must have rabies shots? Does rabies schedule apply to puppies. Does rabies schedule affect the age at which I can bring a dog from Canada to the US? And, yes, I was told by not one but by just about every breeder at a very big show that 10 is the max age for a golden now. Having raised healthy, loved, well-cared-for and long lived goldens, I would hope that the next golden, assuming good health clearances, would live a long life also. I'm biased, but I think that they are the best dogs in the world. It's hard to think about another breed...
My last golden came from a very experienced, careful breeder (no longer breeding) whose dogs typically live long and active lives. My girl's dam was 14 when she died. Her sire is still going strong at age 13. Her grandmother was still doing agility at age 11. Her ancestors were from lines with generally excellent longevity. My girl was kept lean and fit, was fed high quality food, was never exposed to environmental pesticides (I grew up on an organic farm), was not over-vaccinated - and died suddenly of cardiac hemangiosarcoma at age 8. Her litter mates are still alive. We just drew the short straw.

My other dog, not a Golden, lived to be almost 15 years old and we currently have a 17-year-old cat who is in great shape. I'm as sure as I can be that our home is healthy for our animals.

When it comes to cancer and Goldens, there are no guarantees. You can and should do your homework, so that the chances are on your side, but you can never be sure.

It took me almost a year to gather up the courage and get another Golden after Ruby's death. My new pup is from a careful breeder with an excellent reputation who does her clearances and produces very successful performance dogs that generally live out their "normal" lifespan. I expect him to be sound and healthy. But sadly, I can't "expect" him to live a long life. I hope he does, and I'll be devastated if he doesn't. But like virtually every other Golden on the planet, there are a couple of short-lived dogs back in his direct and indirect pedigree, and you just never know. I repeat: there are no guarantees.

One Golden in every four dies of cancer, and of these, a fairly high percentage die before the age of 10. These are sobering statistics.

There's a lot of research going on right now, and hopefully some answers are on the horizon. Until then, IMHO, you can hope for longevity but you can't be sure.

In the early days of my search for a pup, I was very focused on longevity. The more I learned - from reading and from talking to breeders - the more I realized I wasn't being realistic. The breeders I spoke to did what they could to give their pups the best possible chance at longevity, but they were all very clear that the threat of cancer was out there regardless. In the end I went with a breeder who produces the kind of dog I want. He'll be a terrific working partner for me. As for longevity, like every other Golden owner, I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Best of luck with your search!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Murphy is a Beau Geste Golden. They are from Massachusetts. There is a link regarding their dog Chance, who lived to be 19.
I was referred to them by the breeder of my first two Goldens here on Long Island. My Casey lived until 13 and Kelly 12. Looking back on Murphy's line there is a relative of my first Golden.
I'm hoping my Murphy lives a very long and healthy life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Long lived goldens

I'm beginning to think that with cancer it is a crap shoot. My golden passed last week. She was 16. She was a gold-rush. Everything I read on here says gold-rush is cursed, dies young, etc. But my girl was happy and healthy till her last breath. My golden before that was from a breeder people on here favor, and she died from a hemangiosarcoma at 7. I'm also looking, I'm so lost.
Hi, Waters215. I understand how you feel after losing your companion and friend of 16 years. It's really hard. I'm sending you my best wishes. My first dog (this goes back a long while) was a Gold Rush dog, and he was terrific. Lived to be 14. Glad your girl was happy and healthy for 16 years. So was my most recent boy (West Coast dog out of Washington state and British Columbia). I hope your search goes well--keep me posted if you find some good leads and I will do the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CeeGee, your dog is beautiful, and thank you for your thoughts. Is your current golden a working dog, that is, from a field line, or from a conformance/show line?

·
Registered
13 Posts
breeder

sorry about your loss, i feel your pain, i lost my second golden in 11 months last month and am heartbroken. i've spoken w/ some excellent breeders - goldnote in canada, acadia in north carolina, and of course many horrible ones that care more for the $ than the breed!
i see that you're in cali, as am i, be careful, i've only met one breeder that i liked - saddlecreek in ojai, beautiful dogs, great lineage and temperment
good luck

·
Warren Farm Goldens
3 Posts
We have been breeding dark goldens since 1980. The ones we have kept have all lived to from 12-14 years. I have to admit, they do have great lives living here on the farm -- and they are treated like members of our family.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, I'll take a look at Beau Geste and the link. Your dog looks great.
One of Jan Bramhall's Beau Geste dogs sired our most recent. It'd be worth giving her a call or emailing her as she is great and really knows her dogs. She might even have some leads for you in California. We live out here now but got our first Golden on Long Island (Sunnylaine) when we lived in NYC and have continued to do so over the years - which has made for a couple of memorable road trips! :) As others have mentioned though, there are no guarantees - just take as good care of them as you can and enjoy them every day, just as they do you. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts