Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for a breeder with either available puppies or expecting a litter soon.
Can someone refer me to a reputable breeder near NY?
I'm located in NY, but willing to travel to nearby states.

I've contacted several breeders, They won't puppies available to go home until summer time. Ideally I would like to get one sooner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Unfortunately you will have to be exceedingly lucky to find a well-bred puppy available before summer. Breeders who do a good job have a list probably at this point through the fall at least. If you found availability for summer, and you liked the breeder enough for a relationship, you should plunk down a deposit!
Puppies are not a stock item available at any time, their litter had at a minimum months of preparation and thought and effort input and by the time they are born, typically they are spoken for.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
I happened across this web page but don't know the breeder. After a quick look it appears like there is good info on the site including certs.

supergoldens.com

·
Kristy
10,189 Posts
I happened across this web page but don't know the breeder. After a quick look it appears like there is good info on the site including certs.

supergoldens.com
This would not be where I would spend my money. The words "English Cream" are all over the website. No reputable breeder ever says these two words together, it's a marketing ploy. And this breeder is working it by charging $500 more for "English Cream" puppies than his "American" litters. Barf.

The two litters they are marketing have incomplete clearances on either the sire or the dam. Major either had no elbows done or failed them, since he's already produced a puppy with hip dysplasia this would have me leaning toward a fail on the elbows. His eyes are out of date which could be an oversite but since other dogs owned by this breeder are up to date on eye clearances it's interesting. Why do the others and not this dog, especially when he's being bred?

Sasha is being bred but either has no elbows or she failed them, I am leaning toward a fail since she has a sibling with elbow dysplasia and multiple cousins who have failed.

The spotty and incomplete clearances, breeding dogs without full clearances gives you the impression that although they've spent a lot of money on facilities they are cutting corners with health. They aren't competing with these dogs at all and are relying on titles way back in the pedigree to justify the high costs of the puppies. They aren't doing a darn thing to confirm the quality of their pedigree in the close up generations where it really matters more. Just a glorified puppy farm. Way overpriced for what you're getting. Much better to go on the wait list with a reputable breeder and have the experience and support of a good breeder with proper clearances behind the puppies.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
This would not be where I would spend my money. The words "English Cream" are all over the website. No reputable breeder ever says these two words together, it's a marketing ploy. And this breeder is working it by charging $500 more for "English Cream" puppies than his "American" litters. Barf.

The two litters they are marketing have incomplete clearances on either the sire or the dam. Major either had no elbows done or failed them, since he's already produced a puppy with hip dysplasia this would have me leaning toward a fail on the elbows. His eyes are out of date which could be an oversite but since other dogs owned by this breeder are up to date on eye clearances it's interesting. Why do the others and not this dog, especially when he's being bred?

Sasha is being bred but either has no elbows or she failed them, I am leaning toward a fail since she has a sibling with elbow dysplasia and multiple cousins who have failed.

The spotty and incomplete clearances, breeding dogs without full clearances gives you the impression that although they've spent a lot of money on facilities they are cutting corners with health. They aren't competing with these dogs at all and are relying on titles way back in the pedigree to justify the high costs of the puppies. They aren't doing a darn thing to confirm the quality of their pedigree in the close up generations where it really matters more. Just a glorified puppy farm. Way overpriced for what you're getting. Much better to go on the wait list with a reputable breeder and have the experience and support of a good breeder with proper clearances behind the puppies.
Thanks for the input, hopefully it will help clear things up on what to look for when visiting breeder pages.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Nolefan is on the $$. It is a HV BYB with a nice kennel building. I only see one animal I could envision getting a single AKC point, and most of the rhetoric is just that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts