Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
Looking for some help from this community around reputable breeders in Virginia and the immediately surrounding states. Our family’s beautiful golden recently passed away. He died at 4 years old and it was a sudden decline that took us and the vet by surprise. Not sure what exactly it was, but likely herniated disk caused by a tumor no one caught. He was always so happy, he never showed signs of issues until it was too late. He was not only my first dog, but my first golden. We did almost a year of dedicated learning, studying and research before we got him, we even visited breeders in an effort to just converse and learn. In the end, we went with who we believe is a reputable breeder. That said, one thing I learned was that I absolutely love this breed and we do want another dog in our family. In an effort to be comprehensive, and learning from our first experience, I want to do my research again. I live very close to El Dorado goldens in Richmond, VA and have read about so many others until my eyes are crossed. So many sound excellent, but I would love recommendations/experiences from this group who may be more familiar than I am since its been a few years. So very grateful for your input as I know you all share a deep love for this breed!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking to think of losing one so young. I live in Virginia but went to North Carolina to get Rukie. His breeder has retired. You might check with Golden Retriever Clubs for referrals. There are two in NC (Sandlappers and Tarheel maybe?) and one in Maryland. You can also use the search engine here by going to Advanced and putting breeders in Virginia in quotes. There's not much for recent recommendations. I used to suggest Eldorado but there's been some concerns raised by someone recently. It is a difficult time to find a puppy but hopefully patience and a diligent search will get you a new Golden to live. I agree with you; I love Goldens. Best wishes on your search.

Reactions: EHaggles

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about PBG Kennels, in NC?
I've heard great things about them in other groups. His dogs have lots of field titles and from what I hear he takes great pride in his dogs. He doesn't do eye clearances and a few dogs are missing elbow clearance if those things are important to you.

·
Registered
89 Posts

That’s where my boy is from. He’s a pretty awesome dog. The breeder and I still communicate about my dog when I have questions. My vet took his contact info to get her daughter a dog because she loves my boy so much (I’m not sure if she secured one). I have had good experiences with them but I didn’t do much research on them. Honestly I would’ve gone to a shelter to get a pup but my son has special needs so I needed to know the temperament of the parents. I’ll include a photo of my handsome guy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
View attachment 882355
View attachment 882356 That’s where my boy is from. He’s a pretty awesome dog. The breeder and I still communicate about my dog when I have questions. My vet took his contact info to get her daughter a dog because she loves my boy so much (I’m not sure if she secured one). I have had good experiences with them but I didn’t do much research on them. Honestly I would’ve gone to a shelter to get a pup but my son has special needs so I needed to know the temperament of the parents. I’ll include a photo of my handsome guy.
So handsome. I misread your comment, I thought you were asking about PBG, instead I see you were suggesting them. Everyone speaks very highly of Howard which is always great to hear. I understand not getting a dog from the shelter, I have a shelter dog with tons of behavior issues. Is Cash your dogs sire?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes he’s Cash’s and Nebraska’s. When I went to pick him up my son wanted to take Cash home because he was so sweet. My daughter to this day still talks about Cash. I remember seeing Cash though and thinking uh oh I forgot how big these guys get! I hadn’t had a dog since 2003 and those dogs were my parents dogs! My dog did develop a limp awhile ago, which I posted about on these boards. One vet told me a CCL tear and one told me hip dysplasia. My dog healed up from it and we’ve been holding off on neutering. Both parents of my dog have hip clearance. Once/if I decide to neuter, I’ll do imaging then- Howard is aware and asked if I’d keep him posted. We haven’t really had much issues since, every now and then we’ll have a limp after a long game of fetch but it is very short lasting. Like 5 minutes or less. I don’t know if that’s a cramp or what? I’ve heard that large breed dogs can get growing pains - so maybe that’s part of it. None of his other dogs have had issue. We are very happy with our dog. 🙂 here he is when younger - he’s loved water since the day I brought him home

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes he’s Cash’s and Nebraska’s. When I went to pick him up my son wanted to take Cash home because he was so sweet. My daughter to this day still talks about Cash. I remember seeing Cash though and thinking uh oh I forgot how big these guys get! I hadn’t had a dog since 2003 and those dogs were my parents dogs! My dog did develop a limp awhile ago, which I posted about on these boards. One vet told me a CCL tear and one told me hip dysplasia. My dog healed up from it and we’ve been holding off on neutering. Both parents of my dog have hip clearance. Once/if I decide to neuter, I’ll do imaging then- Howard is aware and asked if I’d keep him posted. We haven’t really had much issues since, every now and then we’ll have a limp after a long game of fetch but it is very short lasting. Like 5 minutes or less. I don’t know if that’s a cramp or what? I’ve heard that large breed dogs can get growing pains - so maybe that’s part of it. None of his other dogs have had issue. We are very happy with our dog. 🙂 here he is when younger - he’s loved water since the day I brought him home View attachment 882357
Awwwww he sounds like a great dog. So hard to tell where the limps come from at a young age, I've heard about the growing pains as well, hope that is all it is. Are you in contact with any litter mates, I know there's quite a few PBG owners in the FB group Golden Retrievers of Virginia; that's where I've heard all the good things about Howard. That Cash is a hunk from pics that I've seen, it sounds like he has a wonderful temperament too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don’t have Facebook, so I’m not sure about his littermates. I’d love to get another pup from them as a companion but it’s a lot to handle! My daughter called Cash a teddy bear. He is a sweet boy and he is so handsome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes he’s Cash’s and Nebraska’s. When I went to pick him up my son wanted to take Cash home because he was so sweet. My daughter to this day still talks about Cash. I remember seeing Cash though and thinking uh oh I forgot how big these guys get! I hadn’t had a dog since 2003 and those dogs were my parents dogs! My dog did develop a limp awhile ago, which I posted about on these boards. One vet told me a CCL tear and one told me hip dysplasia. My dog healed up from it and we’ve been holding off on neutering. Both parents of my dog have hip clearance. Once/if I decide to neuter, I’ll do imaging then- Howard is aware and asked if I’d keep him posted. We haven’t really had much issues since, every now and then we’ll have a limp after a long game of fetch but it is very short lasting. Like 5 minutes or less. I don’t know if that’s a cramp or what? I’ve heard that large breed dogs can get growing pains - so maybe that’s part of it. None of his other dogs have had issue. We are very happy with our dog. 🙂 here he is when younger - he’s loved water since the day I brought him home View attachment 882357
Hi, was your dog born on 7/19/20? If so I have one of his sisters- Amber :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes!! Omg they look exactly the same! How is your girl?!
She is great! She weighs 46 lbs and loves to be outside- running, digging, all of the retriever stuff. I am connected with 3 other littermates on FB - another girl and two boys- they are all well! Amber is the smallest.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh my goodness! My guy loves to dig too. It drives me nuts. My guy is 65lbs. I’m not sure if I’m feeding him too much (2 cups). Is your dog super active? Does she get into trouble? Mine was SO bad when he was younger. He’s pretty good now but has his moments!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts