Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Breeders in the Indiana or Illinois area?

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Alohaimee 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! Heath's aunt is looking for a running buddy who can also be gentle with her grandkids so I suggested Goldens! Though I am sure I am a little biased, I think they are the BEST! ;) Are there any breeders here from Indiana or Illinois? I would just like to pass along some information in case she decided to go the golden route. :) :wavey:

Thanks!

Aimee

#2 ·
Since she is interested in a running buddy, maybe she would be a good candidate for a rescue golden. With puppies they shouldnt run until they are around 2 years old and I dont think she would like to wait. LOL

#3 ·
I agree with Carol, but if she does decide to get a puppy from a breeder, I know of a few that should have puppies very soon.

Member Doolin has a boy that is ready right now, so you can also talk to him.

In Indianapolis there is Marcia Gould, who gets glowing reviews. http://www.goldencloverretrievers.com/

Also, a woman here in my town has three boys (one is spoken for, maybe more) that were born last week. I can get her info if you are serious. The puppies are out of this sire: http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=246632

There is also Argo Goldens near Chicago.

As far as rescues go, depending on where she is there is Dirk's Fund near St. Louis and GRRAND in Louisville and As Good as Gold in Chicago.

#4 ·
She knows better than to run with a puppy right away... and I am not sure she wants a rescue as her daughter (who lives with her) just had a baby and you just never know with a rescue...

I am not sure how soon she is wanting a dog, but I will for sure pass on the information!

Thanks!

#5 ·
If she is open to an adult or young juvenile I hope she doesn't rule out a rescue cause of the great unknown. While some goldens come into rescue with a storied past, a reputable rescue gets to know their dogs & who they would recommend in a home with children. And not all rescues have issues...plenty of healthy goldens with a sound temperaments make their way into rescues.

#6 ·
If she is open to an adult or young juvenile I hope she doesn't rule out a rescue cause of the great unknown. While some goldens come into rescue with a storied past, a reputable rescue gets to know their dogs & who they would recommend in a home with children. And not all rescues have issues...plenty of healthy goldens with a sound temperaments make their way into rescues.

This is so true as well as keeping in mind that even a dog raised from a puppy shouldn't ever be unsupervised with small children. I trust my dogs entirely, but I would still never leave them with my small children when I am not around. For the dogs sake as much as the child's!
Another suggestion if she is looking for a puppy to check out the GR clubs in those states. For instance I know White River has a large puppy referral base.

#7 ·
I agree with you all. I have no problem with rescue dogs!

Somebody had suggested she get a rescue and that was just her response to a rescue in general. She hasn't yet replied about goldens, I just wanted info to pass on to her. I should have put "you just never know with a rescue" as quotes since those were her words not mine.

I DO NOT want to start some debate. I just wanted breeder info. to send her way so she could make her own informed decision! Thanks!

#8 ·
I spoke with the woman from Argo Goldens (can't remember her name), and she was very, very nice and informative! I ultimately went with another breeder because they were cheaper and the timing was better with their litter of puppies, but the relationship that I had with Argo actually made it really hard for me to say 'no' to one of their pups. I would recommend them, even though I do not own one of their puppies (maybe another time! ;))

#9 ·
I have a friend in the Green Bay area with a young male she needs to place. He is a gorgeous dog, of Summit breeding. A home with a runner/jogger would be great for him, as he is an active boy.

If you think she would be interested, PM me and I can give you the pedigree information and her email.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.