Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Could anyone refer me to reputable golden retriever breeders who are located within 2 hours of the DC area? We live in Maryland and are hoping to find a healthy puppy to bring into our family.

I did already contact our local golden retriever club, but they were only able to send me one listing. It was for a breeder in Ohio, which is a little too far for us and I couldn't even find a website for them.

I apologize if this question has been answered already... referrals to prior posts would also be appreciated. I've spent a long time searching this forum and my head is spinning with all of the information. Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Kristy
9,607 Posts
Have you spent time looking over the club website? It's an excellent resource and has links to regional referral people as well as local clubs. If I were contacting referral reps I would ask them for suggestions on people in the area they personally would buy a puppy from and not just 'who has puppies'. The supply for well bred puppies from parents with clearances is not enough to meet demand. That means that you need to either plan to travel a greater distance to get a puppy (I highly recommend) or be prepared to get on a wait list and bide your time. Females only come in to season every 6-9 months in general and it's on their time table, not the breeder's or the puppy buyer's. The breeder can guestimate but has no way of predicting for sure the week or even the month.

If you use the search feature at the top of the page it will bring up all previous posts on any topic you can think of, try searching "reputable breeder Virginia, Maryland" etc. I would also suggest Atlanta GRC members. Tennessee also.

NOw that I think of it, try Powder Horn Golden Retrievers in TN. https://powderhorngoldenretrievers.com/
(BTW, this is ok, it doesn't mean it's not a good breeder, figuring out how many puppies will be born is not an exact science even with technology so sometimes there are either not enough puppies for all on the list or too many and there are a couple available. Breeders have to juggle to try to get it just right.)

When you figure out a litter you're interested in , you can ask the breeder for clearance information and if you have the registered names of the parents, someone here can help you verify. Take your time and do all your research, the more informed you are, the less likely you are to be taken advantage of.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
If it's the OH breeder I'm thinking of, it's Carolyn Durway w/ kennel name of Spicewood. I train at Capital Dog Training in Silver Spring MD and my last puppy class had an adorable little boy from her. You might want to rethink your driving restriction--I went to Ruffwater in Pittsburgh for 2 of my pups and Grandview in Durham NC (tracks back to Liberty Lionswatch) for my last pup.

I am a member of the GR club that covers your area--what are you looking for in a pup? There are a # of high volume breeders in the area w/ slick websites and convincing sales pitches, so please continue to educate yourself and have a healthy dose of patience waiting for a well-bred pup.

As a word of caution, there are certain breeders who are routinely referred to on this forum by people who see the glowing praises of previous posts and have never met the breeder or seen any of their dogs/puppies. They are unaware of how the dogs are kept and the number of litters continuously produced--so buyer beware. Having clearances is a drop in the bucket of what IMO a responsible breeder does.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi @SheetsSM - This thread has probably grown cold, but I would love recommendations for any breeders in a 4 hour radius of DC that you are pretty sure take great care of their breeding dogs. That matters most to me, too. I have reached out to LibertyLionswatch, Golden Rose (both in NC) and Starrise - do you know about those? Others?
Thanks so much,
db in dc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts