Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would like to add a Golden late next spring. I've started my research, but would love some input from members on this forum.
We are familiar with Goldens. The breeder that we got Ben from is no longer breeding. Our local club no longer recommends breeders.

I've done some online research and been able to rule out some breeders for various reasons. But I know that there are many more out there who do not have websites.

I have gone to some agility trials and plan to go to some more. I've watched a couple of classes, as I think this is an area I would be interested in pursuing.

And I am willing to travel out-of-state for the right pup.
TIA.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Where are you in TX? If in the metroplex, there is a dog show next weekend at Market Hall where you could see alot of dogs and perhaps meet some breeders. http://www.lonestarstateclassic.com/ I met the woman who is Scion Goldens outside Austin at last summer's show and really liked some of her dogs. Also, Ducat is in Leander for starters.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Sunsplash Golden Retrievers, in the Houston area, just did a breeding. The dam, Sunsplash Zest for Life is an OTCH (obedience trial champion), and the sire, River Ranch Rusty Speaker, is a Master Hunter. I don't know if all the pups are spoken for yet, but it might be worth looking into.

Zest's dad was a Flashpaws dog, some of the most notable agility goldens in the country. Rusty's dad was the great Mr. Speaker.

Vintage Golden Retrievers, also in the Houston area, also has some breedings coming up.

Benden Goldens is in Oklahoma, don't know what they have planned.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both.
Betty, I will try to get to the show.
Loisiana, I recognize some of those names from my research - thank you.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Betty, thank you for that link. I had found many of them already, but there were a couple of new ones.

Clearances are one of the first things I am looking for in the breeding pair. I have a lead on a possible breeding that I might be in on, but I need to prepare for in case it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Ducat's (Helen Dorrance) is not only an AKC Golden Retriever breeder/judge (looking for structure as it compares to the breed standard) but also is an AKC agility judge--and BajaOklahoma, you mentioned you have an interest in agility--this is a Texas breeder who not only breeds golden retrievers, but judges them in the breed ring, and the agility ring.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome information. Thank you all and keep it coming. :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spent 5 hours at the dog show today. I was able to watch some rally and obedience. Wandered around the grooming areas. And I made a few connections. It was fun.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We went yesterday and hopefully will get back tomorrow. I LOVE going and look forward to it twice a year. LOTS of gorgeous goldens. We also watched springers, danes, berners, and english setters. Anyone going tomorrow?????

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I won't be there, but a really good friend of mine drove up there to show. So if you see a guy showing a corgi in open and utility, tell him his friend that has goldens says hi! (He said he may not go tomorrow though, he's kind of bummed because he didn't qualify in three out of the four classes he's showed in so far)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I second Xcelerate in Katy TX....we're looking at a pup from Brandye & they have just confirmed 2 pregnancies....timing may be great for you!! Information is in above post to contact her. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I spent 5 hours at the dog show today. I was able to watch some rally and obedience. Wandered around the grooming areas. And I made a few connections. It was fun.
I love dog shows too! You're going about this the right way; getting references in a sense, and attending dog shows and talking to breeders and exhibitors. At the dog shows, those are the people with the goods, the ones with the dogs that are performing, and you can see the dogs in action, and get an idea as to what you like in a golden, and what qualities you're looking for in your future pet. It's kinda like kicking the tires in a car showroom in a way! Why more people don't do that, I don't understand. Good luck to you, and I know you're going to make a great choice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I heard really, really good things about Camlin goldens when I was looking for our pup but could never find the right time to meet up with the breeder; I just heard them secondhand though and didn't get to the point of checking for clearances. I think they have a website. They are in the DFW area.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
You might also check out Mystic Goldens, Kim Cain. she is out in the sticks, but she does a fair bit of agility with her dogs and most of her breeding now seems to be focused for performance venues. She of course owned Celestial Sirius Jake who is a pretty familiar name in many top performers' pedigrees.;)

http://www.mysticgoldens.com/id2.htmhttp://www.mysticgoldens.com/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts