Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!
Are there any breeders in Texas that you do or don't recommend? I live in Houston, but I'm willing to drive 8 hours! I'm graduating Vet Tech school soon and will be looking to getting a male Golden! I have a female (spayed) and want a male with a big squishy face lol. I have a typical lifestyle; wouldn't be doing any agility work. I'm looking for a breeder that actually cares about breeding quality Goldens. And that don't intentionally breed those that have eye or bone problems.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,739 Posts
Welcome to the forum to you and your adorable girl.

Here is a link for the TX GR Club Puppy Referral from the GRCA.org. You can contact the Club(s) and the Puppy Referral person will help you.

This will get you started while you're waiting for recommendations from members. You can also do a search for TX breeders, threads will come up you can read through.

https://www.grca.org/about-grca/grca-clubs-map/

TEXAS

Austin Golden Retriever Club – Austin TX 78701
Dallas-Fort Worth Metro GRC – Dallas TX 75201
Greater Houston GRC – Houston TX 77002

Good luck in your search, Congratulations on your upcoming graduation from Vet Tech School.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Hello everyone!
Are there any breeders in Texas that you do or don't recommend? I live in Houston, but I'm willing to drive 8 hours! I'm graduating Vet Tech school soon and will be looking to getting a male Golden! I have a female (spayed) and want a male with a big squishy face lol. I have a typical lifestyle; wouldn't be doing any agility work. I'm looking for a breeder that actually cares about breeding quality Goldens. And that don't intentionally breed those that have eye or bone problems.
Thanks in advance!
Congrats on graduating from Vet tech school (soon). What do you mean by bone problems? Are you talking joint issues, like hips and elbows? Al reputable breeders should scan for eyes (yearly), cardiac by a veterinarian cardiologist, hips and elbows xrayed and sent off to OFA for evaluation. Plus most are doing DNA test now for certain diseases that affect goldens.

There are many breeders located in the texas area. I would email the local clubs for referrals. Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bone issues as in hip and elbow dysplasia. and eye issues such as uveitis and entropion.
4 years ago i did not know about all of these things and the importance of getting these health screenings done, so who knows what issues i may face with my baby! i want to do my best this time around.
is it possible for breeders to hide certain results and show only their passing scores of pennhip or OFA screenings for example? unfortunately i have no experience in a clinic where they do these screenings (just a regular, small wellness clinic for vaccines, fecal checks and blood work) so you guys would probably know more about that than i would.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on graduating from Vet tech school (soon). What do you mean by bone problems? Are you talking joint issues, like hips and elbows? Al reputable breeders should scan for eyes (yearly), cardiac by a veterinarian cardiologist, hips and elbows xrayed and sent off to OFA for evaluation. Plus most are doing DNA test now for certain diseases that affect goldens.

There are many breeders located in the texas area. I would email the local clubs for referrals. Good Luck
bone issues as in hip and elbow dysplasia. and eye issues such as uveitis and entropion.
4 years ago i did not know about all of these things and the importance of getting these health screenings done, so who knows what issues i may face with my baby! i want to do my best this time around.
is it possible for breeders to hide certain results and show only their passing scores of pennhip or OFA screenings for example? unfortunately i have no experience in a clinic where they do these screenings (just a regular, small wellness clinic for vaccines, fecal checks and blood work) so you guys would probably know more about that than i would.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Google Amica or Scion, they are in that area, but expect to be put on a waiting list. Sadly this is part of the process for going with a good breeder, more people wanting than puppies available.
Congrats on the vet school!

·
Maegan
430 Posts
I concur with @puddles everywhere on Amica and Scion, but they are in the Austin area. I know the Amica ladies personally and they are wonderful. In the Houston area, the best are Emery Goldens, Wahkeen Goldens, Xcelerate Goldens, Apollo Goldens, and Kaleo Goldens.

Here is a link to the Houston Golden club's referral page: GHGRC Breeder List

Some of the breeders on the list are field/performance breeders, and likely won't have pups that fit your lifestyle. FWIW, I used to live in Houston and have met a few of these breeders in person and know them to be lovely people. Others outside of Houston that I would recommend are Colleen Maddox at Dogwood Springs (know her personally as well), Elkcreek Goldens (know her too), Razzle Goldens, and Lazy Paws Goldens. I don't know what Colleen's plans are at the moment. She's got a couple of females out showing right now that aren't old enough to breed yet. Elkcreek just had a fantastic litter, but all of the pups have already gone home and I don't know what her plans are for the next litter. Razzle and Lazy Paws breed infrequently, but they produce some absolutely lovely dogs.

Long story short (but still kinda long), Texas is full of great breeders that do all of the core clearances for Goldens plus DNA testing, etc. and they all do things with their dogs and strive to breed the best Goldens they can according to the breed standard. However, you should always verify clearances with them and on OFA. Good luck! Feel free to PM if you have any questions!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too am looking for a good breeder in Texas. My big concern is cancer. Nearly 60% of goldens are getting cancer in recent years linking back to sires that were heavily used who proved to have the gene. I am extrmely concerned about the cancer as my last Golden passed from it at age 8. It is enough to almost deter me from goldens given rhe cancer and the cost for a golden these days. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I concur with @puddles everywhere on Amica and Scion, but they are in the Austin area. I know the Amica ladies personally and they are wonderful. In the Houston area, the best are Emery Goldens, Wahkeen Goldens, Xcelerate Goldens, Apollo Goldens, and Kaleo Goldens.

Here is a link to the Houston Golden club's referral page: GHGRC Breeder List

Some of the breeders on the list are field/performance breeders, and likely won't have pups that fit your lifestyle. FWIW, I used to live in Houston and have met a few of these breeders in person and know them to be lovely people. Others outside of Houston that I would recommend are Colleen Maddox at Dogwood Springs (know her personally as well), Elkcreek Goldens (know her too), Razzle Goldens, and Lazy Paws Goldens. I don't know what Colleen's plans are at the moment. She's got a couple of females out showing right now that aren't old enough to breed yet. Elkcreek just had a fantastic litter, but all of the pups have already gone home and I don't know what her plans are for the next litter. Razzle and Lazy Paws breed infrequently, but they produce some absolutely lovely dogs.

Long story short (but still kinda long), Texas is full of great breeders that do all of the core clearances for Goldens plus DNA testing, etc. and they all do things with their dogs and strive to breed the best Goldens they can according to the breed standard. However, you should always verify clearances with them and on OFA. Good luck! Feel free to PM if you have any questions!

Echo the recommendation of Dogwood Springs, took home a pup from one of Colleen's litters last week and couldn't be happier!

·
133 Posts
i completely agree @ArkansasGold she is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. She has become one of my closest dearest friends. Very VERY grateful. Also her bitch Blitz will be bred in the next month and I'm SO excited about the potential sires. Will be just awesome litters as the dam is perfection and the two potential sires are beyond awesome as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What amazes me is the cost of goldens, regardless of breeder, it can be ckc not even akc, no health clearances and they want 1k. Even on craigslist. I have no idea how they are justifying those prices. I am not looking for a show dog, just a good family pet. The health clearances are nice but not necessarily a necessity. However, I cant fathom thag price tag given that some arent registered and have no clearances.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone have any info on a breeder in Richmond TX named Kathy Marek. Came across her info on the AKC Marketplace.

Sire: Master Colt 45 Poohbear AKC DNA #V713382 (SR72048604)
Dam: Harley Pooh's Tangles (SR81737409)

Sire and Dam info taken from a post on AKC Marketplace

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
neither sire nor dam have OFA pages- which means they are lacking health clearances. I would skip right on by that breeder.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts