• Anam Cara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shor'Line

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From looking at a few posts, this seems like the place to go to get the scoop on reputable breeders, so…. I am looking for suggestions for reputable golden retriever breeders in or very near MI; bonus points for Grand Rapids/ West Michigan area, but that’s not mandatory.

I don’t care about color (I’ve seen some breeders that are definitely sketchy in how focused they are on color); I care about temperament, health, intelligence, trainability, and desire to work. This puppy’s goal job will be to grow up to be a service dog who will need to do a wide range of service tasks. Also, bonus points for breeders that do not remove dew claws.

I have found a few breeders that look like they may be promising, but I have just started on the research so it’s definitely a rough list. I would like both positive and negative info on these breeders… and any others that you recommend.

Wynwood
TopMast
Malagold (I saw some info on posts here, but their website is lacking so I have limited info to go on)
VanGoghlden (they were on my list, but I saw some questionable breeding info brought up on a post or two here so definitely want to know if there’s reason to remove them from the list or to keep them on it)
Asoro
Anam Cara
Shor'Line

Please recommend any great breeders in or near Michigan that I haven’t listed!

I’m not in a hurry so not looking for breeders with puppies available now I’m just doing my research now so I’m ready when I’m ready and can get on a waiting list at the right time if needed.

· Kate
25,220 Posts
Vangkjhdkjdhfk, <= No idea on them.

Other breeders listed are fine, but recommend you talk to the breeders about your expectations.

It's possible Topmast is closer to what you are looking for particularly w/r to getting guidance on training - however she and the others would need to know what you are looking for and I believe they are honest enough to tell you if they have any litters planned that would suit what you are looking for. Your experience and training background would be helpful for them.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vangkjhdkjdhfk, <= No idea on them.

Other breeders listed are fine, but recommend you talk to the breeders about your expectations.

It's possible Topmast is closer to what you are looking for particularly w/r to getting guidance on training - however she and the others would need to know what you are looking for and I believe they are honest enough to tell you if they have any litters planned that would suit what you are looking for. Your experience and training background would be helpful for them.
I definitely plan to talk in detail to each breeder that ends up on the short list before committing. I will have high expectations for the dog and not every dog is cut out for this particular job… and I want my odds of success to be as high as possible. One of the things I’m looking at is how the breeders match puppies to owners, whether it’s just first deposit = first pick or if they do personality and expectations based. I just want my short list to be solid to start with.

· Debbie624
422 Posts
I got my 1 1/2 year puppy from Malagold and highly recommend them. Connie Miller and Jessica (they co breed) are amazing. I did many many months of research into breeders and pedigrees to choose a puppy with good longevity in their pedigree and I chose Malagold for this. As well as for temperament. My previous golden whom we lost suddenly 2 years ago, her dad is a Malagold but I got her from WIndridge Farms, a different breeder. Callie was the best dog. Her temperament, she was healthy, she was perfect in every way so I found my way to Malagold to get our current golden, Coco. And she is perfect in every way as well. She is in training to be a therapy dog. She is obedient, very affectionate, is active when we are. I would not hesitate to get another from Malagold and if we were to ever get another, she is the only breeder I would go to. Connie is a very ethical breeder, has been breeding for many many years. She is also an AKC judge. I would definitely reach out to her. I was on a wait list for Coco with no pregnancy in sight and Connie called me with a cancellation and we got Coco months earlier than we expected. If you'd like more info, feel free to message me. Good luck in your search.

· Debbie624
422 Posts
To add to my post, Connie and Jessica from Malagold definitely match puppy buyers with personality and what you are looking for.

Reactions: GRDogMom

· Registered
2 Posts
We got our dog from VanGoghlden and they were incredible I highly recommend them. All of the dogs have all of their clearances and testing. Kara is an animal behaviorist and matched us to the ideal puppy for our family. We are currently working on taking Finley through classes and plan to do some therapy work with him. We will go back when we are ready for our second but I have heard great things about Malagold and Gazebo as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.